slugs in my bathroom

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by zakeera, 10 Jun 2008.

1. zakeera

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Help ! I have slugs in my bathroom, by slugs I mean snails without shells. I have a fairly good cleaning system, every morning I find them from tiny 3 mm to about 1.5 cm. I'm not sure were they coming from. could it be the drain ? what can I use to kill them off, I am presently using a thick bleach product.

2. IJWS15

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    A hedgehog ;)

3. sturip

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You must have a hole that they are coming in through expanding foam sealent should fix it - but mine climb the external wall and come in through the windows.

4. wiggikins

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Abseiling slugs, whatever next!?

5. JohnD

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    you can get slug killing pellets at gardening shops. This poisons them. You have to use the pelllets repeatedly as the first time you kill them, new slugs will move in from nearby. Use the smallest pellets you can find and scatter them thinly, not in piles, so there is a goos chance each slug will bump into one as he crawls about. Cover them to prevent birds or pets eating them (they are not harmful to animals unless they eat a pile of them)

they are probably coming in from damp ground, especially if your home is built on earth not concrete; otherwise they could be crawling in through a small gap, for example under a bath or other fitting where the floor may not be neatly finished, or a crack in a wall. Sand and cement mortar is another way to fill such gaps. If there is damp e.g. from drips or leaks this will give them a nice home.

Bleach is not a good way to kill them but if you pick them up you can drop them into a bucket of strong salty water.

If you have climbing plants on the walls, they may live on the plants and crawl along the walls to get in.

if you use a torch at night you might be able to detect. their route, they leave a shiny trail.

6. Burnerman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The slugs climb the wall without difficulty or fear......sprinkle slug pellets freely around the base of your external walls and doors. :)

7. larrytheleak

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    ZAKEERA
    YOU HAVE TO THREAD CAREFULLY HERE SOME SPECIES ARE THREATNED WITH EXTINCTION AND YOU MAY HAVE TO ADOPT THEM