Small diameter SBC candle lamp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a couple of wall lights, and one of the lamps have blown. However it has proved impossible to change. In the end the whole unit was removed from the wall and the bulb had to be smashed to remove it.

The difficulty arises because a) the lamp cannot be reached from the top of the shade (I can just touch the top of it and push it down, but have no purchase to rotate it.Wife's smaller hands are no better), and b) the diameter of the lamp is larger than the diameter of the glass shade, so cannot lift the shade off with the lamp in situ. How they got the things together in the first place beats me.

So is anyone aware of a small diameter (less than 30mm) SBC 40W lamp, ideally candle? And it needs to be dimmable. (Or maybe taller than normal lamp?).

Thanks

Lloyd

Sponsored Links
Some lamps can be quite awkward to remove baffles me sometime what the the manufactures are thinking about when in come to to this, regardless of whether expensive or cheaper products this still arises.
Could well be that the lamp you had installed was not suitable for the fitting.
I would suggest if you could post the fitting and lamp in question it may help on further advise.
I suspect if you can physically reach the lamp, they either came with an accessory that help you do this or the lamp needs to be longer rather than narrower.

The flame tipped ones are are little longer than standard SBCs candles.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LAHCAF28SBCCL.html

Changing the lampholder for a screw one can help - it's often much easier to get that type of lamp inserted (and removed) when you've got restricted access and limited space for fingers etc. A regular household rubber glove can provide useful grip assistance.

Sponsored Links
Use a short peice of 25mm internal diameter rubber hose to push down and turn the lamp ;)
sometimes you can lift the shade enough to grip the lower section of the lamp and just remove both together.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Discovered that the thread in the holder was striped anyway, so it was turning, so new SES holder on order, and I'm keeping my eyes open for a suitable piece of hose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back