small extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to build a small extension to my house across the back of the property. The kitchen runs across the back of the house, I'd be creating a larger kitchen diner. I have sketched a couple of diagrams - now and after:

View media item 37561 View media item 37562
A few things have occured to me.

One. If the extension were to happen, one of its walls would be adjacent to a public footpath adjoining the road - a pavement. Is this allowed?

Two. The work would involve the demolition of the coalstore/outside bog, which adjoins next door's - the two roofs join at the ridge. Would I just need written permission? Or would I need a boundary wall agreement or something? The new extension will fill the space left by the demolition, as you can see on the diagram, and the ridge will be re-instated, so the coalhouse structure would not be compromised. Another issue is that the coalstore does not have a DPC. I could have one fitted, but this would involve the boundary wall again. The wall in the coalstore is awful brickwork - odds n ends etc. Would a good coat of render or some kind of cement board strengthen this?

Three. Would I need planning permission? Or is this "permitted development" or something? The extension will come out maximum 4-5 feet from the existing boundary.

If I have to submit plans and pay etc, would I need to have architect-drawn plans or would the council accept plans as above, but larger and (much) more detailed?

Sponsored Links
Steve. Did you ever get your neighbour problems sorted?

Yes I did Joe. The landlady wrote back to me eventually. She only owns the one house- she intends to return to it one day, she is renting it out while working abroad in the Cayman islands.

Her tenant has been told on a no-names basis that there have been complaints. He has since shut the f*** up and I hardly know he lives there now.

She also told me her boundary wall is to stay as it is - I am not allowed to touch it. Despite it being in much worse condition than my boundary wall that I have just "pushed" over.

Sponsored Links
Is it two storey i.e. what provisions/thoughts do you have about holding up the first floor rear elevation (once the wall is removed an pushed back) or am i misunderstanding the arrangement?

Yes I did Joe. The landlady wrote back to me eventually. She only owns the one house- she intends to return to it one day, she is renting it out while working abroad in the Cayman islands.

Well that's good to hear. Bad neighbours are a pain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back