Small IP rated toggle switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all,

I'm refurbing some outdoor lights that somebody once used by just plugging them in. What I want to do is permanently leave them plugged in, and on, but have a small toggle switch on the back of the light post. Can anyone recommend somewhere that stocks such switches? Preferably IP rated? I've tried maplin but the switches cost more than the lamp posts did!! Just something simple and discrete will do the job nicely.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
There are Ip rated ones used on commercial kitchen appliances usually all the wires are sealed in, try a catering website

I am sure you can assign an IP rating to any switch even if that rating is IP11
Or even IP00

DPDT_knife_switch_in_closed_position.jpg

Yes you have seen my point at least. In the regulations we see IPXXB or IP2X and IPXXD or IP4X and IP5X, IP44 and it would seem for outside sockets we do need IP44 however when we buy items for outside use IP56 is more common. Where there are more harsh conditions for example rotating wing aircraft blowing water at a greater than normal rate or flooding we may increase the IP rating right up to IP68.

In the example shown by BAS we can see at a glance the IP rating but normally one needs some one to have completed some tests and written on the item or paperwork the results.

However there is also common sense put a switch inside a bird nesting box type structure and even a switch for internal use is likely good enough in fact looking at LAP IP56 weatherproof range in the Electricfix catalogue one can see it's a standard socket inside a weatherproof box and likely any other device be it a FCU, or Switch would fit in the same box.

I am sure may others can also give stories of how a weatherproof box has been incorrectly mounted and was clearly not suitable for the job.

In the main switches for out door use are designed with a large distance between the operators hand and the switch contacts. They tend to be chunky in order to get that separation. Although I have used smaller switches with 12 and 24 volt equipment with seals there is a limited life with any seal so with 230 volt we tend to instead use some distance between finger and live part rather than seals.

Toggle switch boots
toggleglasssurface.jpg
will reduce the ingress from the panel side of the switch but not from the underside of the panel so one can only assign a IP rating to the finished product not to the switch its self.
toggle01.jpg
The picture shows how these boots are the final nut holding the switch but I have seen many fitted where the boot does not make contact with the panel so water could follow threads to get under the panel. http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/toggle-switch-sealing-hoods/0321212/ The link shows how seals should be fitted but to be save the panel needs to be earthed of course.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back