Small leak from microbore compression fitting (CH)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I took off a rad the other day so that the plasterer can get in behind it to skim the walls, all ok no probs so far.

This evening I disturbed the pipe to the rad valve whilst removing the skirting board and now I have a small leak from a compression fitting which was used to extend the pipe when we put on a bigger rad a few years back.

Anyway this leak is about 12" before the TRV and is leaking at the rate of about 9 drips a minute (540 per hour i'd assume, providing it doesnt get any worse)

I dont want to try nipping the fitting up any more, (it is 8mm microbore) in case I worsen it.

My question is, does the system need draining down to fix the fitting? or is there anything I can do to avoid a drain down, as I would rather a plumber did this.

It is a pressurised combi system (Baxi 105e, running at just over 1 bar)

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Nip it up it should be ok.

If you feel the need to go further
No need to drain it. Just turn the 2 valves off on the boiler flow and return valves and release the pressure that is in system by opening one of your disconnected rad valves. It will spray at first then stop, close it and you can the strip out the damaged fitting and redo it

Thanks Gas112,

I assume the flow and return valves you refer to are the ones situated under the boiler, I just turn the isolation tap off?

Once I do this and open the rad valve to release the pressure, won't the system drain by gravity?

Yeah the 2 on the outside . no it wont drain it vacums up.
Its like the old trick of holding a full milk bottle of water upside down and it not coming out . If air cant get in water wont come out

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back