Small leak were rad valve tighten on to rad tail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey I thnk I may have a very small leak, were the radiator valve tightens on to the rad tail on some radiator valves I have fitted. There is no drip or sign of water under the valve but it feels wet on the joint. Is that a tiny leak or could it be something else?

Sponsored Links
Wipe it dry then try some toilet paper on the joint/pipe work after 1/2 an hour.

If it is damp then you have a leak.

Andy

Thanks how can I cure this if it is a leak? I tighten the fitting bit by bit to try avoid overtightening but it doesnt seem to have solve the problem.

Anyway of sealing it if it won't tighten anymore? Like said it isn't causing a drip just feels wet when touching it.

Sponsored Links
There are two types of joints between the rad valve and rad tail - an olive or 3/4" union. Before assembling, I usually put a smear of Boss White or similar on the olive or union face.

Failing that, you could try some Fernox LSX in the same place.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/fernox-ls...tracking url&gclid=CI_7nafzmrUCFefJtAodvTUAyA

Some of the olive joints on certain trv valves, eg. Danfoss RAS series, seem to need quite a bit of torque to seal them.

Is it definitely coming from this joint, not the actual tail where it screws into rad? How many turns of PTFE tape did you use on the tail into rad?

Its coming from the 1/2 inch nut on the tail that connects to the rad valve. I put 20 wraps of ptfe on the tail tapeDr towards the end that enters the rad first. They are damfoss valves I have fitted. I have fitted rad valves before and never had a problem. Can Damfoss ones be trouble some?

Its coming from the 1/2 inch nut on the tail that connects to the rad valve. I put 20 wraps of ptfe on the tail tapeDr towards the end that enters the rad first. They are damfoss valves I have fitted. I have fitted rad valves before and never had a problem. Can Damfoss ones be trouble some?

Yes, the threads seem poor and easy to cross thread. Try some more tightening, they seem to need quite a lot. The olive on them seems pressed onto the tail and needs a lot of force to 'persuade' it along a bit into the valve opening. If not, try some sealant.

If ever I get a problem with weeps on new rad valves, it's always Danfoss.

Thought it was just me. :LOL:

Ok thanks, I will try to tighten abit more, I have a bigger spanner which will give me more leverge that might be able to give it abit more. I was scared of over tighening.

Yes it took a fair bit of force to knock the olive further on to the tail. If not I'll have to drain down, undo the valve and apply LS-X would you recommend. Is the first time I've had a problem like this don't thnk I'll be using damfoss valves again.

If you have a problem joint, it usually works. It's all very well to keep tightening, but there comes a limit. It's only a very slight gap that's causing the weep, and something like LSX is the ideal product to fill it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back