Small loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for some advice please

We have a loft space above a bathroom we want to turn into a galley bedspace effectively with a ladder up to it. It's just about big enough to put a double mattress on the floor.

It measures 1.5m x 3.2m

At the moment the joists are 50mm x 100mm and they are the 1.5m long. I've had a couple of people come to quote and they don't want to work. I'm considering doing it myself.

Both people who quoted said they would lay 50x150mm joists over the top of the current joists in the 3.2m direction to strengthen the floor. I can see sense in this and would go down this route - better safe than sorry!

My plan is to lay them 16" apart but I don't know how to secure the 50x150mm joists to the joists they will sit on. Any advice? Hurricane ties? Screws?

I will then insulate and board on top of this floor.

Sponsored Links
That size of joists sounds fine but you need to check what the ends are resting on and make sure it's adequate.
If you are confident to determine the load paths then have a look, but if not get an SE and they will check that and work out whether it's strong enough for you.
Not sure what the loads are for a gallery bed area, you may get away with more from calculation than you would using span tables too.

OP, what you propose for the joisting is wrong.
Have you read the Regs on "fire escape" from a sleeping area?

Sponsored Links
if you want to do it the proper, legal way, take your budget and at least double it if you haven't done it already ;)

It's fine to have a gallery above a bedroom without any extra means of escape as long as the gallery overlooks at least half the floor area below. And less than 7(ish iirc?) metres to the ladder. But your gallery should be fine as long as it is over a room.
Basically it has to be one room for the purposes of noticing when something is on fire.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back