Smaller feed/expansion tank overflow constantly dripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Excuse some of my basic terminology! - in no way an expert on plumbing etc

We have 2 feed/expansion tanks in our loft, a large one with cold water and a smaller one with hot water in it - the water level in the smaller one is sitting just high enough to send a very small amount of water into the overflow pipe which then comes out just under our roof to the right hand side of our front door - so very annoying to constantly have a wet drive.

I can't seem to work out why the level is this high, causing it to constantly overflow - any help/tips/advise would be hugely appreciated?

Sponsored Links
Could be your coil in the cylinder gone.
Is the large cws constantly filling ?

Firstly,the water in the small tank should be cold as well,therefore the c/h is pumping over back up into it,which is causing the overflow..It could be a number of things causing this,it may be simple to resolve it may not.I`m sure some of the more knowledgeable guys on here can advise you further.But be prepared to call a heating engineer in.

Is the ball float flooded?

That means is it covered with water?

If so is the valve dripping?

Can you post a photo looking into it?

Tony

Sponsored Links
the large tank is not contstantly filling

have only had a new cylinder fitted about 18 months ago - could this happen?

the ball float in the small tank is not flooded, and seems to be sitting at the correct level

Will get a pic of it and post asap

Could the water being pumped back up into it if I've got one of the rads of the wall for an extended period of time?

bale it out and see if the ball-cock is dripping. If it is, fit a new one.

the ball float in the small tank is not flooded, and seems to be sitting at the correct level

Sorry but thats not possible.

The depth should only be 80-100 mm when cold and increasing about 20-40 mm when hot.

So it cannot reach the over flow outlet unless the ball float is flooded.

See photo. Or try bending arm to solve the problem.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back