Smell from boiler - should I be worried?

Zip

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have a Alpha CB28 combi boiler, running on LPG.

A very small leak developed around a month ago on a radiator pipe, which means we have to "top up" around 3 times a day. And first thing in the morning as it drops to zero overnight.

Since this topping up started, we have noticed an unpleasant smell from the boiler (its inside a kitchen cupboard) which is coming into the kitchen.

So I took the "sealing panel" off a few weeks ago to check everything was OK to the eye - and then the "gas cover" to gently hoover out all the dead insects.

Before I refitted the sealing panel, I checked the top/bottom seals.
These rubber seals were in place, but were brittle to the touch.

I have three questions;

1) As we can smell this smell - is it dangerous in the long term?

2) Although the smell was in place before I took the casing off - I think I need to change them anyway. Can anyone point me in the right direction to where I might find these rubbers?

3) Is LPG as dangerous as British Gas?

I will fix the leak when I find the time!!

Many thanks in advance - Stephen

Sponsored Links
1) As we can smell this smell - is it dangerous in the long term?

dunno can't smell it

2) Although the smell was in place before I took the casing off - I think I need to change them anyway. Can anyone point me in the right direction to where I might find these rubbers?

if you are not sure you shouldn't have been in there :eek:

more so BIG STYLE :cry: :cry:

Any smells from boiler should be investigated by qualified competent person. You could call Transco (NG) out on 0800 111999 if you are worried about smells or your local installer. Transco free! :)

Any work on a gas boiler should be carried out by a 'competent person including replacing seals. They are what is keeping products of combustion out of your kitchen :eek:

All gas is dangerous if not properly installed and regularly checked and serviced. LPG can be more dangerous as it is heavier than air so any leaks in an unventilated area will collect at floor level so risking an explosion possibly before you can smell it :!:

A little bit sideways on the topic here.... but my oil fired had a smell / leak, and last week we had to ring 999, and now i need a new kitchen.... SORT IT...

Sponsored Links
at least your here to post it :)

When will the public learn always call someone in. £50/70 better than snuffing it I think :eek:

Zip said:
Hi

Imagine spending 5mins on the sun, if LPG goes up you get a fire ball, which will incinerate anything and every thing :eek:

Perhaps you can remember the camp site in France a few years back.

doitall said:
Zip said:
Hi

Imagine spending 5mins on the sun, if LPG goes up you get a fire ball, which will incinerate anything and every thing :eek:

Perhaps you can remember the camp site in France a few years back.
Not sure about a fire ball but I went to a house many years ago after an LPG problem which had flashed.
It had lifted the roof 4 inches and then plonked it back down, taken every window out of the house and spread the knicker draw on the apple tree 20 yards down the garden.
The 4 people in the house were a bit shell shocked but only suffered singe burns.
That was a Ravenheat....Probably as crap as your boiler so be careful.

Stan

pannierstan said:
That was a Ravenheat....Probably as rubbish as your boiler so be careful.
Stan

I think its very unfair to blame the boiler makers!

Perhaps the installer left a test point open?

Perhaps it was supplied from a cylinder in the house with an orange push on hose?

Probably they had never had it serviced!

Did you find out why it had been leaking LPG ( nothing to with the boiler I expect! ) ?

Agile said:
pannierstan said:
That was a Ravenheat....Probably as rubbish as your boiler so be careful.
Stan

I think its very unfair to blame the boiler makers!

Perhaps the installer left a test point open?

Perhaps it was supplied from a cylinder in the house with an orange push on hose?

Probably they had never had it serviced!

Did you find out why it had been leaking LPG ( nothing to with the boiler I expect! ) ?
It was to do with the boiler which is why I said it, but your points are taken. Perhaps the last comment was unjustified.

Thanks for pointing that out Agile.

By the way do you often see Propane stored in the property connected to a boiler down south. If you do you might want to take your LPG ACS. It very naughty to store Propane inside the premise.

Stan

Are you sure I have not already taken the ACS?

Never seen a cylinder for a boiler indoors ( yet ). Cooker then maybe!

Do you know where "the boiler" was leaking?

I have never seen one leaking from the boiler excluding the pipe connection underneath and three gas valves leaking to the room sealed combustion chamber, only one significantly.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back