Soak away help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have found that the main drainage from the roof of my house goes into a soak away that has become blocked. I say soak away, it appears to be a load of bricked chucked in the ground 1m from the house. What I find strange I its directly above the main drain - I would have thought this was allowed?

My options I think are:

1 - dig out the soakaway and put the bricks back in, but I assume it would just block again
2 - move it further away from the house and use some of those soakaway crates
3 - attach it to the main drain - I belive this isn't allowed?

Any advise?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Do u have clay soil. Soakaway is useless. Link it to your main drain for life.

Pretty sure regs state soakaways should be minimum 5m from a property these days, which would mean lots of trench digging for you. But as CB states, they are useless in clay soil anyway. Depends on whether you get LABC involved, if not then guess you can do as you like. I once dug a soakaway pit in advance of BCO first site visit, he asked what the big square hole was in the back garden, I replied confidently: 'soakaway for the extra surface water drainage from the extended roof' - he said 'this is heavy clay soil, fill it in before it turns into a swimming pool and route the surface water to your foul drain'. :oops:

Sponsored Links
The regulation says you must drain to a soak away. If a soak away is not suitable then you must drain to a surface water drain. Only if a surface water drain is not available can you connect to a foul rain. Suitability of a soak away starts with location; it must be 5m from any building and 2m from any boundary. If you can't achieve that it isn't suitable. Secondly the ground conditions must be tested for rate of percolation. If the test fails it isn't suitable. Clay soil would usually fail but some inspectors insist on testing anyway - because they are ****s.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back