Socket + Fused spur ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all I've been reading these forums quite a bit but this is my first post ...

I have a socket in the kitchen with a fused spur taken off for an extractor fan, it looks like this:

(they are not straight because the fused spur is not screwed on the wall in that picture!).

Basically it's two single gangs right up tight to each other, I've replaced the old sockets with nice new ones but the way they are touching doesn't look right to me. Ideally what I would like to do is replace the two with a double gang in the wall and a front plate with a single socket and a fused spur on it but I am amazed to find that such a thing doesn't seem to exist! ... can you get them anywhere? and is the way they are currently mounted a "legit" way of doing it? I am very tempted to chisel out the wall a little and move them an inch apart so each one sits properly on the wall!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Dave

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I use a galv coupler between flush boxes to keep them all spaced the same.

You often can't fit two metal face plates side by side on a dual box.

Great minds Rob, i do this as well, it also helps keep everything in a nice level line especially when putting in 3 or 4 double sockets for a home enetertainment corner!!!!

I rather think that the OP will retain the existing white fitings rather than invest in fancy metal accessories..

I use a galv coupler between flush boxes to keep them all spaced the same.

You often can't fit two metal face plates side by side on a dual box.

I find you can only really do this with 35mm boxes. 25mm boxes have the 20mm hole right at the front of the box, and leaves the coupler too close to the surface IMO. (thinking of the plaster finish depth).

Thanks for the help. I got one of the fancy double single gang boxes from screwfix and they are great - I took off half the wall getting the old boxes out mind you but that's easily fixed! I would have preferred a gap myself but they are perfectly square using this box so I don't mind and I'm pleased with the result.

I thought you might like a picture of the finished result!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back