socket off a spur

d67

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
although not 'best practice' is it ok to run a very sort length spur for use for a kettle, off an existing spur ?

if not - there is a cooker switch and plug (all in one face plate) that is close - could i take a spur off this ?

thanks.

Sponsored Links
Why not plug the kettle into the cooker control unit? Or is that a stupid question?

One way round this would be to fuse that spur down to 13A thro' an FCU then you can run any number of outlets from it.

IE Incoming cable of spur to feed terminals of FCU and outgoing cable to load terminals ( fused at 13A) then whatever happens, you cannot draw more than 13A, and if you do, the fuse will blow.

So if you can't take a spur off a cooker socket (I remember there being a discussion about this before!)... does that make it illegal to use an extension lead or multi-adaptor plugged into one?

Perhaps it is time that a law was introduced making it a legal requirement for any wholesalers/diy shops to have big signs on their shelves detailing what is and isn't safe and/or legitimate for plumbing, electrics etc. Not saying it should be illegal to work on but there should be a safety net to catch the "I know what I am doing!" *BUZZ* *FLASH* brigade before they add burden to the NHS!

Sponsored Links
No because that outlet will have been "designed-in" when the circuit was installed, and being a radial circuit it is intended for the supply of fixed equipment only. In any case, that extension lead or 4-way will have a fuse limiting current drawn by any appliances plugged into it to a maximum of 13 Amps.

If you abuse the circuit and tap off the main feed, there is potential for much more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back