Socket off lighting circuit!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I thought I had a "dead" socket as there was no power to it when only the socket trip was on on the distribution board. However, there is power to it when the lighting trip is on!
For the moment I will use a chocbloc and fit a blanking plate.

Why would someone do this? Would this work (depending on what was plugged in)? How unsafe is it?

Long term what other options do I have?
1. Trace the lighting cable backwards and disconnect and create a spur from another socket
2. Any others?

Sponsored Links
I found a similar set-up. The intruder alarm fitter had used a surface mounted double socket as a junction box on the lighting circuit to obtain his power. Only found when drying out after a flood. It was under stairs so took opportunity to fit a light (and move the alarm). Could be something you could check, but don't assume anything.

No. Bedroom.

I've just looked at forum history and realise this in a "no no" (should have done this first).

Thanks for replies

Sponsored Links
is it run off the light switch? maybe someone had a table lamp which came on at the same time as the main lights? I think there have been debates on here in the past about whether or not it's acceptable, as long as it's marked.

Hi, I thought I had a "dead" socket as there was no power to it when only the socket trip was on on the distribution board. However, there is power to it when the lighting trip is on!
AIUI putting a 13A socket on a lighting circuit is not explicitly prohibited by the regs though it does go against the diversity guidelines (but they are just guidelines.

For the moment I will use a chocbloc and fit a blanking plate.
Personally I'd just leave the socket as is.

Why would someone do this?
Three possible reasons I can think of

1: they couldn't easilly get at a socket circuit cable and needed a socket for a low current device.
2: they wanted a socket controlled by a lightswitch
3: they had no clue what they were doing.

Would this work (depending on what was plugged in)?
Yes it will work fine with small appliances.

How unsafe is it?
Worst that is likely to happen is someone plugs in a larger appliance and trips the lighting circuit.

Changing the socket to a round pin 2 or 5 amp socket may be an option. You could use it for a clock, table lamp a tv if you fit a 2 or 5 amp round pin plug.

Changing the socket to a round pin 2 or 5 amp socket may be an option. You could use it for a clock, table lamp a tv if you fit a 2 or 5 amp round pin plug.
...provided that the cable of the clock, table lamp or TV is fat enough to be adequately protected by the circuit's OPD (unless you can find one of them elusive 2A or 5A plugs with a fuse!). I don't think there's actually anything 'wrong' (or unsafe, or contrary to regs) in having a '13A' socket on a 6A lighting circuit, if it is known that it is to be used for a low load - but it probably would make sense to label it accordingly to warn people in the future.

Kind Regards. John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back