socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i want to lower a single socket about 2 foot down wall but the cable is not long enough. what should i do and can i join it :?:

Sponsored Links
you say the cable is not long enough, what cable?
is it from an existing socket you are moving are you spuring from another socket?

the answer is yes you can, but i would be inclined to change the whole cable run, because to join a 2.5mm cable (as you should be using for sockets) you must use a 30 amp junction box that you can not bury in the wall, so it would be (as i mentioned) better to change the whole cable

Can you not use terminal connector joining the wires together inside the existing socket box and use a cover plate ? I've got that in one of my room. Is that okay ?

Sponsored Links
use 30amp terminal block and as long as the join is accessible then that is ok

but for the sake of pulling a new cable in y bother with the join it will make you feel much more safer any join is a hot spot and can cause problems :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back