Sockets and consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a little problem and not sure what do, I have two mcb with sockets on.

One of them does one double plug socket and the rest of the house is on the other, 8 double sockets.

Can I move the live into the other mcb and safe to do so?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Perhaps, but more info needed, such as cable size and MCB size.

Why are you considering this? Are you trying to obtain a spare way for a new circuit?

Or are you trying to create work for the sake of it?

I was going to move it to create a spare mcb so I can install all the kitchen appliences on one so there separate to the sockets, there is already 2 wires in the mcb for sockets

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 156
I see the MCB which I assume does the 8 sockets.

Can you send a pic of the MCB that does the one double socket?

Sponsored Links
Are these MCBs protected by RCD protection? If not you ,will not be able to create a kitchen circuit, unless you can install an RCBO in it's place.

And do you intend to apply for the required Building Regulations approval?

In the main sockets are supplied with 2.5mm² cable and unless arranged in a ring this will not take 32A. I have when I have found a mixture swapped the 32A for a 20A but that of course means it is more likely to trip.

The easy method is to supply a distribution box with something like a 45A MCB and then put a MCB of the original size in that second box and more the cable to the second box.

However if you need to ask the question it is unlikely you have the skill and test gear required so not really a DIY job in any case the LABC charges are so high not worth doing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back