soffit vents

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbour is having his wooden soffits and fascias replaced but I notice that the tradesmen are just covering over the existing linear soffit vents with upvc soffits attached to the old ones and not putting new vents in. Won't this cause condensation problems in his loft eventually? It is a 1997 bryant built property.

Sponsored Links
Some UPVC soffits have a ventilation strip along one edge. Could be that they have these towards the outside edge (near fascia). If not, the men installing the soffits will probably ride away on horseback at the end of the job. ;) ;) ;)

No, the ones they have covered have these types of linear vents. I'm wondering whether I should say something to him before they finish?? Then again he may take it as sour grapes on my part because he's having the work done.... ahh the joys of neighbourly relations....oh to live on a remote island in the south pacific!!!

Sponsored Links
Think he should/would be entirely gratefull for having it pointed out? Unless he's a ****, tell him, and remind him you like a drink at this festive time of year!

aye, you would think so, but life has taught me one thing and that is that people can be funny feckers at the best of time!

Are you sure that the tradesman hasn't installed "over fascia" vents, like photos 2 and 3 on this page - http://www.roofapex.com/eave-vent.html ?

I stopped using soffit vents along time ago because they look naff and the fascia strips are more discreet. I often get customers and neighbours assuming I haven't vented the eave.

BTW, always best to replace soffits rather than capping them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back