Soffit vents

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I want to fit soffit vents but notice a lot about not drilling soffits cos so asbestos. The soffits are white and look like plastic upvc type of thing to me. Any way to find out what the material is please? Thanks in advance. -terry

Sponsored Links
Nose all, thanks, sorry about delay. Built 1960 afaik, but lots of stuff changed since then I think, e.g. Upvc windows / doors, so soffits probably more recent.
Regards, terry

Theres a good chance the original soffits will be under the pvc...you may be able to check from in the attic.

Sponsored Links
You may want a quick look at this thread as I had the same problem but knew I for sure I had asbestos behind.
//www.diynot.com/diy/threads/roof-venting.422443/#3296490

Im sure it wouldn't be an approved method as far as health and safety gos but as a one off job on your own property it is most likely the most cost effective solution while minimizing risks.

Question is are the gutters, facia etc in good condition?

If not rather than disturb drilling somethign thats due for replacment, why not carefuly remove (whilst wearing suitable PPE), bag and dispose. Fit new PVC 18mm boards and soffit with vents.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back