Soffits and fascia quote.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wanted replacement soffits (fascias and guttering are OK aside from a clean-up), so got a local firm in for a quote. This firm have a great reputation in the area, and I have previously used them for d/glazing and doors. Been totally satisfied with their workmanship and advice.

I have read previously about whether over-cladding is a good idea or not, an was prepared to pay for the whole lot to come down with just the soffits being replaced. However the guy said as the old soffits are "asbestolux", he would not recommend removing them. While he was quite prepared to do so, he was concerned that they would not come down in sheets, but instead break/snap creating lots of dust/particles - and as we have two small children this may put them at risk.

He has therefore quoted for overcladding - £1,000 cash, or £1,200 cq/credit card. This involves about 30m of soffits.

Two questions:

1. Does his reason for over-cladding sound valid, or is he just trying to come up with an argument to do it the easy way?

2. Does the quote stack up?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
It all depends upon condition.

If the asbestos product is in good condition then it's best left alone, overboarding is not leaving it alone.

Asbestos cement products are unlikely to release high levels of fibres because of the way they are made unless they are subject to extreme abrasion. Most roofing/guttering etc asbestos products contain between 10-15% asbestos so will pose little risk if removed carefully and suitable precautions taken.

We breathe in asbestos every day albeit very small amounts.

dont cap your fascias, fully replace. blind rough guide price 1350 in white

You don't want pvc men playing with your roof so just let them do what they are capable of doing, over cladding.

Sponsored Links
Agree with taz on this one!

1k for just the soffits seems a bit steep though.

Only just realised this is just soffits, ignore my prices etc they were for the whole fascias soffits and gutters, sounds steep. Can they not be painted?

I thought they were contemplating ripping fascias off also, but if all that is quoted for then it seems a good idea to get more quotes.

Thanks for all replies - and apologies for not coming back sooner as have been away.

Just to confirm to responders, the soffits are NOT in good condition. The top layer is peeling off and there is some staining from what looks like a build up of water in one of the valleys. Therefore, cannot leave alone or simply repaint - they need replacing/over cladding.

Just to be clear, the quote is for taking down guttering, cleaning existing fascias, putting the same guttering back up, cleaning and replacing any parts as necessary, and overcladding soffits. I would rather pay by credit card because of the extra protection under the Consumer Credit Act, but a 20% loading for the privilege seems quite steep.

What I don't understand is why there is such a difference of opinion when it comes to over cladding. Those in favour imply that it is perfectly acceptable, whereas those against seem to consider it a quick fix and not a "proper job". Is there not some sort of industry standard guidance on the subject? Personally, I would rather replace than overclad, but am worried about what the guy said about the asbestos risk. Is he just trying to talk me into a quicker job?

What I don't understand is why there is such a difference of opinion when it comes to over cladding. Those in favour imply that it is perfectly acceptable, whereas those against seem to consider it a quick fix and not a "proper job". Is there not some sort of industry standard guidance on the subject? Personally, I would rather replace than overclad, but am worried about what the guy said about the asbestos risk. Is he just trying to talk me into a quicker job?

There is nothing wrong with over-cladding as long as the base is sound and there are no underlying problems around the eaves detail etc.

Full replacement involves removing the eaves course of tiles as well as all the other components i.e. fascia gutter and soffit. What this means is that any weaknesses, faults or rotten bits and pieces are exposed and made available for rectification.

Whether your plastic installer does or not is a different matter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back