Soffitt ventilation for loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys, its not a roof question so I put it here into general building. My loft is air tight no ventilation, think the previous owner had mice and bird problems right mess left and think this could be why they have shut it all in. I noticed that the boards, soffitts have all had upvc cladding put on them and these have no air vents. All the other neighbours houses have the original wood with vents fitted, so I think its just been covered over with this upvc when the last owner had new windows put in. This has covered up all the ventilation into the eaves. I am going to put in loft insulation and been told NO sort out the ventilation first. The loft space is completley dark and no air flow what can I do please?
tully

Sponsored Links
you can buy soffit vents that can be installed afterwards quite easily
just drill the holes and they either clip or glue in
circular-vents-300x225.gif

It is best to make sure that the hole you drill with a tank cutter does not line up with a joist. I think the spec. is one every 4' . They make a world of difference to mould growing on stuff left in the loft.
Frank

Thanks guys, I think I understand what to do, I have trouble with the weight of the ladders but will go up tommorrow do I just do drill holes in the front and back of the house ? How many will I need to drill and how far out from the wall?
tully

Sponsored Links
im sure there is a formula for how much ventilation your loft needs it all depends on the size cubic feet
try googling it im sure youll find it :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back