Soil Pipe from downstairs toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning all ;)

I have just have had an offer accepted on an epic DIY doer upper project. At the rear left of the property is a down stairs toilet that has the waste going directly into a floor waste pipe.

On the exterior wall of the toilet is a soil vent pipe which the current owner insists just vents the sewer access point at the rear of the property. I have several questions regarding this:

1. Is it feasible this is vent pipe is not linked to the current toilet system as the current owner stated the toilet waste went in the opposite direction.

2. If it is only a vent for the sewer, is it plausible to feed an additional toilet into the existing pipe from a bedroom upstairs as its on the correct external wall.

3, There is a spare bedroom above the existing toilet which I intend to convert to an upstairs bathroom, if it is not possible to use the existing vent / soil pipe, is it possible to split the "in floor" single sewer connection in the existing toilet to receive a waste pipe from above. It is in the corner so a soil pipe could be run internally and boxed in for aesthetics' if the connection to the current toilet could be utilised.

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

Sponsored Links
There is no point in anybody speculating on what may or may not be.

"YOU" need to check it out, and then "YOU" will be sure of what can and can't be done,to get another toilet in.

"YOU" need to check it out, and then "YOU" will be sure of what can and can't be done,to get another toilet in.

OK fair one, however I do believe two questions can still be answered without speculation..

1. Is it plausible the stack could just be a vent for the sewer.

2. Can you split an "in floor" soil pipe to take another

These questions along with a thorough inspection which would reveal what the vent pipe actually does connect to and what I would have to do to continue with the project.

Obviously if the soil vent pipe is connected to the toilet then its a simple case of adding the new connection further up, but if it doesn't then I would have to feed into the connection on the down stairs toilet.

1. Yes

2. Depends on what's already there, but yes, in principle.

Sponsored Links
Dye test should tell you where the vent pipe connects to, although getting the dye into it may be somewhat of a feat! Assuming it was installed as a vent, (and therefore a dry run) it has to connect into the drain somewhere, but it's possible it could connect into a manhole halfway up, not ideal for connecting a WC to as any discharge will splash all over the manhole and create an unholy mess..... :cry:

Ideally bends need to be avoided in the 'wet section' of a stack, bringing a soil pipe down from the floor above then running horizontally to connect to drain at the back of the downstairs pan could cause noise issues when contents of upstairs pan hit the base of the bend, and possible issues with pressure venting through lower WC pan. :!:

It looks like I will be getting a professional in for this part of the job, can anyone give me an ballpark figure for installing a new soil pipe and getting it to run into the manhole if the current one is of no use.

The manhole is about 2 metres from the rear of the property.

From what I have read, because it is a new bathroom / toilet it will require building regs hence my trying to fully understand what work will be required.

Some of my questions may seem inane so some readers but its so I can get a game plan in my head once I have the answers. Once I am near to completion I intend to have a visit to the property and gain a better understanding of the finer nuances, its obviously not really done to check the drains on a viewing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back