Soil pipe leak

Why not fit the flooring first then get the plumber in aftyer to fit the connector properly?

I do wonder why some people seem to think that flexible pan connectors are the devils own creation.

Where there is an awkward fall or connection run due to a badly sited soil waste pipe, I have found a McAlpine flexi's have worked well.

Like everything it's all down to being fitted correctly without too tight a radius, with the correct level of fall and fixed squarely onto the spigot and into the soil pipe and then the toilet being fixed securely to the floor. With all that done correctly then I find they can be an excellent solution for what's sometimes an awkward problem. I have used them without any issue or call back due to leaks/blockages.

Thanks for that advice. Actually, after posting my last reply here and having another think about it, what you suggest had also occurred to me i.e. put down the vinyl flooring and then get the plumber in. Seems obvious now but I must have been in another mind-set about the problem so it took a while to dawn on me. You were ahead of me!

I note what you say about the bad press that flexi connectors get but I'm still going to get a 'proper' plumber in. But thanks again.

Sponsored Links
I agree with you Zacc, re getting in the plumber. I always advise any DIY'er, if they're having 2nd thoughts about something then get someone in. Better to be safe than sorry.

The point about the flexi's was just me getting my bit in on the side of flexi's and about the advantages I find with them, that's all :)

I agree with you Zacc, re getting in the plumber. I always advise any DIY'er, if they're having 2nd thoughts about something then get someone in. Better to be safe than sorry.

The point about the flexi's was just me getting my bit in on the side of flexi's and about the advantages I find with them, that's all :)

No worries mate, thanks again.

Sponsored Links
i think a lot of the issues with flexi's are down to poor installation anyway. I went to look at one where a flexi had been used to make a tight 90° connection into the floor on a ground floor WC. It was ok until the drain blocked and one vigorous plunge by the householder in an attempt to clear the pan popped the finned end out the drain and emptied the contents of the (full) pan onto the floor.....

I rodded the drain, (removing a child's plastic toy...), and replaced the flexi with a rigid 90° pan connector, no further problems since.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back