Soil Stack Removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I want to remove a redundant, cast iron soil stack that is on an interior wall (it wasn't removed when the extension was built). As far as I understand I have 2 options to cut it into manageable sections: [1] use an angle grinder (fast but messy) or [2] use a hacksaw (slow but tidier).

As it's inside, and the missus doesn't want me to make a mess, I'll think I'll go the hacksaw route. But I haven't been able to find a hacksaw of sufficient depth that would allow me to cut through the pipe, which appears to be of standard diameter (about 110 mm). As the pipe is against a wall I can only attack it from one side.

Can someone please point me to a saw large enough to tackle this job?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Some of the DIY sheds and garden centres sell a little 12" bow saw that takes either a wood cutting blade or a standard hacksaw blade. The frame is deep enough to cut a soil pipe.

Given a choice, a coarser 18 TPI blade may cut a bit quicker than the standard 24TPI.

Edit:- Once you get a start, a lump hammer, cold chisel and a pair of goggles can be very useful.

If you chop a 'mouth' out of the bottom, you can stuff the pipe with rags or plastic bags etc, to catch bits before they fall into the drain below.

Hope your a strong boy with lots of time on your hands. My advice would be to tell your wife to get to the kitchen and then put a dust sheet down and smash the pipe with a heavy hammer. Within half an hour you will have removed the pipe cleaned up and will be on the couch with a beer in your hand.

Sponsored Links
forget about the hacksaw route - you'll end up with arms like popeye and a lot of blunt blades :LOL: - a decent lump hammer will do it in no time:cool:

Agreed a good hammer and a few stout blows to break the sockets and it will fall down, well it would if you let it :rolleyes:

A note for ANYONE considering using an angle-grinder on cast-iron.
Yup - it cuts it OK.
BUT it makes lots of highly-reactive iron dust which falls down onto anything below. As soon as whatever is there gets wet (rain, ...) the iron turns to rust and stains like the Devil. White paintwork on window frames, masonry paint, plastic / powder coated glazing, paving slabs, stonework... ALL get lots of little brown specks all over!!! Even without rain, there's enough moisture in the air to create the effect in a few hours or overnight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back