solar water temp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm installing a solar system in an off grid house and would like to limit the temp through the taps without resorting to a pricy thermostatic or automated valve (as there is no mains power).
I just need one temperature limiting device for the whole system ideally. Any ideas?

Thanks

Ben

Sponsored Links
Not wishing to discourage but.... What is this solar heating system you have that, in the UK, can push the HW temperature up to a point where it needs limiting?

Hmmm, another unbeliever!

The water inside a panel can in certain situations reach 200 degrees and flash to steam, so temperature can certainly be a problem. Practically speaking it reaches around 60 degrees fairly easily, and as the problem I'm trying to solve is in an off grid house with no boiler/mains electric/mains water I wanted to avoid using a powered mixer valve.

Can anyone help?

Ben

You can use a thermostatic mixer valve used in many combi boilers, but you will need a cold supply to mix it with. If you have a 200 litre tank, to get the temperature to 60 degs, you must have some pretty big panels.

I'm an unbeliever too, I've had 1/2 litre up to 75 Celcius, with a 1 sq m reflector, and it took an hour in bright sunshine. When the coluds covered the sun, that was that.

Sponsored Links
You identified a different problem yourself.... if the temperature of the collector exceeds boiling point (of whatever fluid you're using) that's a serious problem in itself.

I'm no expert but I'd have thought you'd need a heatsink arrangement to dump excess heat once the water is hot enough.

Also, it sounds like you're planning a single circuit, with tap water flowing through the collector. Otherside you'll presumably need a circulating pump to move water from a hot water cylinder up to the collector (gravity won't work unless the hot water tank is ABOVE the collector!). If you do use a single circuit, there are (insurmountable?) Water Byelaw issues and anyway the collector will get limescaled and lose efficiency within months. :confused:

OK, thanks for your help...

When I said that they can reach 200 deg and flash to steam I only meant theoretically in a worst case scenario with no safety measures...that would be a pressurised system left to stagnate ie: the pump broke and water was failing to circulate to the tank and nothing in place to relieve the temp/pressure. I certainly won't be doing that...The system will stop working at 60 degrees, but this is still too hot when the elderly/children may be accessing the taps. I guess I will have to only have a feed from the tank and not from the solar circuit directly.

For the unbelievers, 60 deg is definitely possible, even on a cloudy day with a single panel.

The system I will be using is powered by a variable solar pump, ( the tank will be lower than the panel ) but as the house will be run on 12volts I imagined that it would be difficult to source a powered mixer valve. Are thermostatic valves the only solution? I have only seen very expensive ones, but could I source one from the inside of a combi boiler going to scrap?

thanks again

........could I source one from the inside of a combi boiler going to scrap?

Not a good idea if you are worrying about elderly children using the taps. A new one would cost between £25 and £50 depending what features and size you want.

You need a blending valve, these are availiable from any plumbers merchant, they are a manuel valve that you adjust yourself until the desired temp is acheived

What solar system are you using, I fit a lot of solar mainly pressurized systems. but I fail to see how you will control the temp of the cylinder without a controller

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back