Soldering headphone cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

My mother in laws expensive headphone cables started to break (sound in one ear would stop when the cable was moved at the top by the ear piece).

I've carefully taken the headphones apart and the repair is easy enough BUT (famous but!!) The cables are so thin around 1mm if that (8 stranded cores) and appear to be enamel coated.

I've tried acetone and quickly burning off the enamel but I just can't seem to get the solder to tin so that I can resolder the 8 connections to the board it once was attached to.

Any help / advice would be really appreciated!

Thank you
Matt

Sponsored Links
Done this before-
What I found that worked is that you have to get a small sharp knife and very carefully scrape off the lacquer coating off each individual strand for about 5mm or however long you want the solder to be. You should then be able to get the solder to stick :)

Is this 'tinsel cable'?

Tinsel cable consists of very fine strands inter-wrapped with a fine string. It was developed for the old post office telephone patch cables and is extremely flexible. I've a modern version of this on some high end headphones. Its impossible to solder this wire - its intended for small crimp connectors

Sponsored Links
If it was soldered then it can be soldered..

If these headphones are so expensive they should have a warranty or a replacable cable assembly. Otherwise.. persist. Apply more heat, use more aggressive flux.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back