Soldering Iron???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have got a 15w and a 25w soldering iron they both seem very weak for general soldering.

What wattage should I go for??

Andy

Sponsored Links
what do you mean by 'general soldering'?

25 watt is okay for discrete component electronics assembly and repair, for anything heftier you will need a larger iron.

Sponsored Links
Should be able to solder most things on a car with a 25w, I use a 25w antex and have no issues. But yes, 40/50w will give you more poke.

Daniel

I use about 70W (would have to check when hot..) for everything from SMD to soldering terminals on 6mm² wire. Good luck doing a D2PAK with 25W.

The more power available the better, you just need to have it properly controlled.

Maybe these are older irons that aren't quite hot enough for the lead free solder we now use. I've had to throw a couple away.

Temperature controlled is a lot easier to work with imho.

Agreed there. I have 2 and a half rolls of 60/40, dreading the day I ever run out. I remember the night we were handed several rolls and tubes of paste and told to get on with it. Automated machines were using a new tip every 6 hours for having it running so hot, still doesn't flow properly for me.

You can still get 60/40. Or better yet, 63/37 or 62/36/2. Costly, though, but so is lead-free. Good solder costs good money.

Sponsored Links
Back