solid brick wall insulation the cost effective way

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,
I'm considering options for internal insulation to two outside facing walls in my bedroom (external option ruled out). The walls are solid 9inch bricks with external cement render. One wall has had its plaster removed to the brick face, while the other has had cement render / plaster skin applied in the last two years. We were thinking of attaching a breathable membrane to the wall (the brick exposed wall only), followed by a treated wood batons (100mm x 50mm) screwed to the walls which would be in filled with rockwool / celotex slabs(50mm or 75mm). The timber frame would be covered with a vapour barrier and then boarded up with plasterboard. This would create a 50mm gap between the rockwool / celotex slab and the plasterboard, would this act the same way as a gap between the solid wall and insulation which is normally suggested? An alternative is to use thermal phenolic laminate boards (50mm) over the timber frame instead of infilling between the timbers but at £40 a sheet (20 sheets), it’s too expensive. Would the two approaches give similar insulation performance?

Thanks

Parsman

Sponsored Links
Am not a pro builder burt am looking into same problem and have spoken to BCO. I am putting in studwork separated from main wall by 50mm and then infilling studwall with cellotex(70mm). Then outside this i use a silver sheet insulation (www.webdynamics.co.uk) and then 12.5mm foil backed plasterboard.
This is on an external wall of brick/flint in old property. On the opposite wall where the 'elements' don't cause such problems (wind/rain etc) the BCO suggested a thermal sheeting system that adheres directly to the wall. There is a web here for it, www.mgcltd.co.uk.
As you say which system is more effective in both costs and heat retention is the question...only by comparing systems in same situation can one really tell i would have thought?

How much overal space would be taken up by having the studwork away from the wall? would it be pinned to the ceiling and floor joists?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back