Solid loft insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Bought a house (victorian semi) with two loft/attic rooms. One was already converted, the other bare brick and pitched roof.

The rafters are about 70mm deep, with black bitumen-type felt which looks to be in fairly good condition. The previous owner had started putting in 80mm foil backed Kingspan between the rafters, and left me a few sheets.

So I've continued the job, used up the rest, with a view to building down the batons by a couple of centimetres and boarding the ceiling.

Started reading about it all, and it turns out I might need an air gap. At present there's no air gap at all. Just tiles on felt type stuff and then insulation filling the rafter gap.

Have pulled out a couple of the blocks of insulation, there's no sign of damp.

Do I rip it all out and start from scratch?

I need to do the other room at some point, the plan was to beef up the insulation in that one too. Not sure now, but I'm going to lose a lot of headroom if I have to insulate below the rafters.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yes you must have an air gap!
The easiest way to do this, run a batten down the rafters tight to the felt this will guarantee an air gap all the way.
If your rafters are 70mm deep then 50mm insulation is your max.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back