Solid oak floor on dpm?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I know there is already loads of posts on this subject but I am still yet to find an answer to my question. Or maybe it's that I want to hear an answer that doesn't exist.

I have done an extension on the side of my house which has standard building regs concrete floor, loads of hardcore, blind, dpm, celotex, dpm,reinforced concrete, and then a sharp sand screed. Over the top of the sharp sand screed I have put sbr to key it and a very thin 2-3 mm layer of fibre flex levelling compound. Now my extension floor is the exact same height as my existing house. I was planning to stick with a flexible adhesive my 18 mm solid oak down to my nice level floor and then as I leave the concrete floor area and continue into the old house I would screw or nail it to the floorboards. The concrete floor has been down for 6 months.

Does anyone think that I need to put another dpm on top of this under the oak?

If so, is there a liquid one I can stick straight to? I really don't want to bring the floor up any more as I got it spot on and I am quite proud of myself!

Any help much appreciated!! My floor arrives tomorrow!!

Sponsored Links
I beleive that you should use a DPM over concrete floors due to condensation rather than concrete drying out.
You might find it best to use an underlay that includes a DPM.

The floor needs to acclimatise for as long as possible before fitting. As for installing onto a mix of concrete and wood subfloor, you could do as you say, but by the sounds of it, you already know that the correct method would be to ply the entire subfloor and fix the solid wood flooring to this layer.

If you go with the mixed subfloor option, you must at least ensure that the moisture content of the two floors is the same or very close. It's still a massive risk, and if the floor does have issues, at least to will know where the issue is coming from with almost complete certainty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back