Solid Polycarbonate Sheets Minimum Thickness?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm planning to build a lean to canopy as a patio / decking cover. The area I need to cover is approx 9m x 5m.
I'm considering using clear solid polycarbonate sheets as a roof (rather than twinwall) to achieve maximum light transmission.
In order to save money I would prefer the roofing sheets to be as thin as possible. I believe the sheets starts at 2mm - what is the thinnest I will get away with for a canopy?

Many thanks in advance,

Tom

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
get it as thick as you can
the greater the thickness the greater gap between the wooden supports
you will need several intermediate posts and chunky timbers to support a structure that size

Blimey, every night will be like Rolf Harris night with that plastic wobbling up and down.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies.

Points taken about the structure and the impact of the wind.

I won't be able to afford 10mm+ of solid sheets as this will cost me £1000+ for the roof alone. I may be able to reduce the area to 9m x 3.50m and may have to settle for 10mm (or 16mm?) twinwall polycarbonate sheets, with a decent amount of timber rafters as support!?

Cheers,

Tom

Corrugated plastic roofing sheets will be stronger for the given thickness than flat stuff......if that is acceptable to you.
You'll still need a good few supporting purlins though.
John :)

Corrugated plastic roofing sheets will be stronger for the given thickness than flat stuff......if that is acceptable to you.
You'll still need a good few supporting purlins though.
John :)

Thanks for the advice John.

Personally I prefer twinwall or solid compared to the corrugated sheets although they are very cheap in comparison.

I have built at least one row of purlins into my plans; I may even go for a second or third row if I feel the wind may have a big impact.
I'm hoping to use sheets approx 2m wide (3.5m long) to reduce the amount of glazing bars required with rafters approx 1m distance apart unless anyone feels the size of the sheets is too large.

Varico are currently offering 15% off their polycarbonate products. Sounds like a good deal.

http://www.varicoltd.com/polycarbonate10mmclear.html

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back