Solid wood floor nightmare

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was asked to glue a solid wooden floor down in a friends house whilst they were on holiday, anyhow I lifted there old floor up to find that there concrete floor is seriously damp. To damp even for a liquid dpm.

They have just come back off holiday and obviously aren't happy about not having there floor down.

Ater they gave me a chance to explain why, they came up with the solution of me floating the floor on a plastic dpm. The supplier suggests that this floor is suitable only for gluing, does anyone see any problems with trying to float it

Sponsored Links
Installing a floor floating - even if it would be recommended - on a concrete floor that is too wet is asking for problems.

Let them sort out the moist problem first!

What would you suggest to go on the floor then as a dpm, bearing in mind that the floor is reading above 20% on a damp test meter and it's solid wood floor that needs gluing down.

I am reluctant to spend money on a liquid dpm if this isn't going to adhere.

A reading of over 20% is extremely high. What method did you use to ascertain this figure?

Is this a new house - if so then concrete will need an average of one inch per month to dry out?

If this is an old property then you may have a problem that needs to be resolved before you can proceed.

If the supplier is saying you can only glue down this flooring then to do otherwise will mean you will invalidate any warranty - no matter what advice you are given.

There are products that will be suitable for rh readings of up to 96%.

Sponsored Links
The reading of over 20% came off a standard damp meter, it's an old property and I am wandering whether or not there is a dpm.

You susggest there are products for readings of rh upto 96%, which are these?

For rh readings of 96% you could use F.Ball F75 two coat application BUT a relative humidity reading is NOT the same as a 20% moisture reading.

You would need to check the concrete with a relative humidity moisture meter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back