Solution to pumping over problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.

I have a very old central heating system which has been repeatedly modified since inception in the early 60's. We have a Crane Cavalier cast iron boiler (modified to natural gas!) on the ground floor which still works very well, although with some kettleing. Some demented heating engineer in the past tried to get gravity feed into the ground floor with a single pipe system using many very fat pipes up to 44mm. In the end a pump was added at ground level. Some of the fat pipes have been stripped out and replaced with two-pipe 15mm to serve the ground floor heating. The first floor heating was always two-pipe, as far as I can tell.
There was originally a Primatic DHW cylinder. This has been replaced some time ago with an insulated indirect cylinder, which had the insulation cut off and then glued back on, in order to get it into the cupboard. There is therefore no longer access to the connections, without again cutting off the insulation and removing the tank. A F&E tank is mounted above the cylinder in the loft space, installed when the Primatic cylinder was replaced.

Feed from the boiler in 22mm pipe connects to the bottom coil connection, and then proceeds up to the vent which has about 400mm above the water level in the F&E, which is as high as it can get because of the roof. F&E connects in 22mm to the upper coil connection and then down to pump inlet thence to the boiler return. Other returns from the heating join it at intervals.

You will all have noticed the first problem is that the cylinder is connected the wrong way round. That doesn't worry me overmuch, as we still get hot water with gravity circulation, now that I've flushed out the coil in the cylinder, and chemically cleaned the system. Steam from the boiler would still go straight to the vent, past the lower cylinder connection.

My main problem now is that since cleaning, the system over pumps a consistent trickle with the pump set at it's lowest setting. I'm considering a cure using the scheme set out by ChrisR in post here: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=341459#341459

If I connect the feed into the vent pipe, and put an automatic air vent on the top of the pipe that used to go to the top of the coil, above the cylinder, would that work OK please? Or should I use a manual vent?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
OK, an update on this, and it has been solved.

I was aware that the pipes got crossed somewhere between the under stair and the emergence below the unserviceable cylinder. What I discovered today was that they crossed again behind the cylinder, due to the right hand pipe serving the lower coil connection coming out at the top as the left hand pipe (doh!). :oops: The outcome of this, and tested by breaking the circuit and pouring water down a pipe to see where it emerged, is that the flow DOES connect to the top of the coil, not the bottom, and that pipe continues as the vent pipe. It was therefore simple and conventional to connect the fill pipe into that, above the cylinder, and terminate the lower connection pipe with a manual bleed valve, also just above the cylinder.

So, I now have a combined feed and vent connected in the right place at the top coil connection and leading up from the top flow connection of the boiler. This water is driven by the pump injecting into the base of the boiler on it's return path, which is what was causing the pumping over. I can now set the pump to any setting, and no pumping over occurs.

Thanks again to ChrisR in post here: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=341459#341459 for suggesting this solution, which I've not seen illustrated or described anywhere else. I have seen references to "combined feed and vent", but usually in some derogatory context as something not to be considered good practice. Maybe it's not, but IT WORKS so don't knock it!

Pictures here: //www.diynot.com/network/momist/albums/17810

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back