Solvent Weld Overflow Reducer 21.5 x 40mm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought the following Solvent Weld reducer that is supposed to allow me to solvent weld a 21.5mm overflow pipe to a 40mm connector:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plumbing/d20/Overflow/sd2908/Solvent+Weld+Overflow+Reducer/p47692

The 40mm part goes into the 40mm fitting nice and snug. However, when I put my Flopast 21.5mm pipe in the hole for the 21.5mm reduced size, it seems to be very loose. So loose that it feels like a good millimetre or two gap around the entire circumference of the overflow pipe. This just doesn't seem normal. I have also got a Flopast 21.5mm to 40mm reducer from B&Q but that one seems to be pushfit only and doesnt fit solvent weld 40mm connectors.

Any advice? I would ideally like to use solvent weld connections.

Sponsored Links
Never had a problem with the smaller stuff, but sometimes on 4inch pipe i use gap filling solvent cement when the fit is a little slack.

Solvent weld overflow pipe OD does slightly vary with manufacturer, just enough to be enough to be annoying sometimes.

Sometimes its best to use products from the same company then they should :rolleyes: all fit together.
If the reducer (not a known brand,maybe a copy part import from china) from t-station costs 89p and a named brand (flowpast) costs £1.20 at plumb-ctr, £1.08 at screw-fix.you have to ask your self why the difference in price.
Anyway,gap filling cement comes to mind for minor size departure.

Good luck,

Sponsored Links
Does screwfix sell gap filling cement? Couldn't find anything like it. Is it applied the same way as normal solvent cement?

screwfix dont sell that gap filling cement.

Maybe just solvent glue in your fitting (just to hold it in the fitting) then use a smear of silicone to fill the void.

Time to feed the horse :eek:

If you can't get the gap fill, just cut a piece of the pipe slightly smaller than the depth of the fitting, cut it down one edge and wrap it around the end of the pipe and then glue it onto it, that should then be tight enough in the fitting to glue it all into place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back