Some advice please...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A bit of a novice question here but...

I recently had a room professionally decorated. The room was newly plastered with new pre-primed skirting, architraves, door frame and door installed. Given it was the first lick of paint the room was getting i thought i'd get a pro in as there was a lot of prep work involved i wasn't prepared (or had the time) to tackle.

The room looks great, but a few other trades have also been in recently (sequencing was unavoidable!) and left a few dirty hand marks on the walls and woodwork.

Am i safe to touch up the paintwork myself using the left over paints from the original job?

My main concern is that any new touch ups might dry to a slightly different shade. Is this likely?

The walls are painted in a Dulux Trade Flat Matt
The woodwork in a Dulux Trade Eggshell (water based)
The ceiling in a Dulux Trade light reflecting Matt
The floorboards in a F&B white floor paint

Any tips on how to achieve a seamless finish would be welcome thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The only tip I can give is to ensure you use the same painting technique as the original painter, brush, roller, pad etc, as touching up a roller finish for example with a brush will guarantee a noticeable patch.

is it possible to wash off grubby marks from dulux flat matt paint... or should i paint over them instead?

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure what they are... appeared after the new sash windows were fitted so i presume dust, dirt and grease?!

Think i might give it a light wash and then paint over when dry...

Thanks

Most likely grease from finger marks left by window fitter, no harm in trying to sponge off but I suspect you may end up with shiny marks on the matt.

Will these shiny marks be okay to paint over again if it happens? Or am i safer just painting over to begin with?

Thanks

No you will not make it worse for painting, just more noticeable until you paint, so worth a try if you intend to have a go at touching up anyway rather that living with it.:)

One of my major gripes this, really doesn't take much effort to keep your hands clean and show a bit of respect for another trades work. My advice would be to ring the guy that did the painting and ask him if he can pop in and assess.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back