Some ideas needed!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Now that my garage is built I am going to tackle my 'yarden'! its an end terraced house with land at the side that now has been incorporated into a perimeter wall and a garage.

I've included a few pictures and of what I currently have and a rough idea to what I'd like... brown bit being decking, green obviously grass!

I wondered if anyone on here had any nice ideas that could help me layout the decking... that best makes use of the space and looks well.

I need to incorporate a path the the rear gate/shed and to the path down the side of the garage/ across the back of the garage... with an area for seating near the french doors.

the rear is roughly 6m deep and 8.5m wide(If I remember correctly)

it should all be a similar level or may include a small step down/up to the grass.
[net]
118510/12471_55372845.jpg[/net]

n519846572_2005227_2135658.jpg

n519846572_2005228_3544310.jpg

3246_79394936572_519846572_2143302_5496929_n.jpg

3246_79394941572_519846572_2143303_1192668_n.jpg

the garage has now been finished so once I've uploaded my camera pictures I'll update this thread. :)

Sponsored Links

I'd take a bit more off the end of the grass for decking, so that you have the same area as the existing slabbed area..

just take the "bump" off the end..

where does it get the sun, especially in the evening. any kids?

Sponsored Links
No kids. 2 mid twentys adults.
sun is in extended end first thing in the morning then passes over to the outhouse end by the evening..

I did originally want paving. cant afford to pay a landscaper £5k+ and after shopping around, decking seems so much cheaper.its that or indian stone that varies in thickness so will be awkward to lay!

Someone swing me towards paving... :D

On the subject of paving...

I roughly need 25m2 of paving( inc the path down the side of the garage).

The indian stone we both like is about £16/m2 so £400 for the paving, I'm guessing 3 tons of MOT crusher and 2 tons of sharp sand.(£200ish)

If I dug down and levelled the entire area (6" below desired paving level enough?) ready for some crusher run and sharp sand, how much approximately would I expect to pay someone to lay the paving?

A ball park price will do...so I know if its worth enquiring locally.... I'm not paying out £5-10k for the enitre job as I just dont have anywhere near that! :cry:

You shouldn't lay indian sandstone on just sand, you'll need it layed on a solid bed of lean mortar, 6:1 or so, check out pavingexpert.com for the basics and then come back for any specific queries.

Your plan to prep the sub-base etc yourself sounds fine but you may have a problem with decent tradesmen not wanting to finish what someone else has begun and then getting blamed for problems in the future.

If you go down your planned route make sure when getting quotes etc to find out how exactly they plan to lay the flags as this will more than likely give you a rough guide as to the type of tradesman they are.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back