Some questions about DIY installing central heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am updating a 1960's chalet style house and need to install the whole central heating system. It had warm air heating previously and that has been all ripped out. I have had quotes for a top-end WB combi boiler and (I think) 8 rads but I think I can save about four grand doing it myself.

There's no one living in the house so I can take my time and will cause no disruption. I've got a decent level of knowledge and experience and happy to get the right tools for the job. All the ceilings are off at the moment for the sparky so I have quite good access to most of the house.

Some basic questions...

Can I chase pipes into the downstairs floors? I'm planning to use 15mm plastic and run it into the concrete floors. From what I've read, chasing into walls is a massive arse ache so if I can chase into floors I'd prefer to do that. The skirting is already on so can't chase behind that.

Mr Central Heating - I assume someone will have dealt with these guys. Everything looks spot on, any feedback?

Generally speaking, taking care and working logically, this isn't a hard job is it? It's a long job and it needs care and attention to detail I think, but is there anything about it that requires years of training?

Would you say fit all the rads and pipes etc in place first and then install the boiler, or put the boiler in and work off that?

Is there a reference guide, a book, that you would recommend? I have seen some good reviews of the Haynes book but any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
4grand is a lot of money for labour, how much is the matterials on top of that. :eek:

Sponsored Links
You get what you pay for!

That means you get what you order! Good or bad!

We would always recommend the essential aspects of the boiler installation are by a gas reg engineer and that will often get you a longer warranty.

Installing rads is pretty simple, just time consuming, but you do need to get the pipe sizes correct.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back