Someone building on land behind my house?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all.

The house I have has a back garden about 20meters long. There is a plot about 20-30meters long behind my house, that was part of it before I bought house, but the seller separated it into its own piece of land and kept it.

If they sell it on, can someone just build a house there regardless of my opinion? Or would I get a say and how much in it?

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
It would need PP, and you could object, and I believe they will consider your objections, but that doesn't mean you have any sort of veto.

Where's the access to the plot?

Yes, but 'garden grabbing' is not favoured by most Local Authorities. A lot of policies kick in for new dwellings and some of which can put developers off. I was involved in a similar situation where the "spare" land to the side of an existing semi-detached house was to be used to build a new 3-bed attached dwelling. The Council requested nearly £40k in affordable housing contributions and a Code 5 dwelling. It was just not feasible.

Thanks guys, I dont think the owners are planning on developing themselves, but I belive they are holding onto the land (Id be amazed if it actually was big enough for a house) to sell later presumably for someone to build on.

Access may be an issue, on one had there is a lane at the side of my house to a gate into the plot, and the other face of the plot is pretty much directly onto a crescent, where it would be feasible to provide services etc assuming they had permission.

Was more curios as to how much attention they pay to objections. Nice to know there not keen on these kind of activities. Probably wont be an issue for years. just had a panic moment thinkin there might be a 3 floor flat looking into my back garden this time next summer lol

Sponsored Links
The Council requested nearly £40k in affordable housing contributions and a Code 5 dwelling. It was just not feasible.

That's disgusting! They moan about lack of properties being built then heavily disincentivise the small builder/developer.

I wanted to make a minor amendment to granted plans but I was told if I did then I'd qualify for CIL and the affordable housing contribution, totalling in excess of £30,000. Needles to say I didn't bother.

I did read on another application that there is an affordable house levy but I haven't looked into that yet.

Just another soap tax of the day.

Yep. What I didn't add to that was you can argue the contribution(s) with a viability statement, which we did and the figure was reduced by 50% overnight. However, it still meant they wanted nearly £20k.

That's disgusting! They moan about lack of properties being built then heavily disincentivise the small builder/developer.
The amounts/triggers/thresholds whatever could well be wrong, but in principle the contribution is there precisely to allow low-cost housing for people who cannot afford to pay 6x their income for a mortgage and who cannot find local-authority owned housing because to satisfy a destructive political ideology councils were forced to sell theirs off and then forbidden to use the money to build more.

Just another soap tax of the day.
And one which is desired by every single person who has ever voted Tory in any local or national election.

How does it differ from bribery or extorsion? You can have planning permission so long as you cough up some money for one of their pet schemes. If it was any other body it would be a criminal offence.
Not if it was an MP, obviously.

The amounts/triggers/thresholds whatever could well be wrong, but in principle the contribution is there precisely to allow low-cost housing for people who cannot afford to pay 6x their income for a mortgage and who cannot find local-authority owned housing because to satisfy a destructive political ideology councils were forced to sell theirs off and then forbidden to use the money to build more.

There are huge quantities of houses available that every full time worker could afford on minimum wages. The problem these days is people don't want to start at the bottom and work up. We live in an society that expect instant gratification and so they don't want to move into a £25k terrace house they want to move into a £200k new build with nice granite worktops, 60" plasma TV, American fridge and god forbid if it doesn't have an en-suite.

To get onto the housing ladder they're unprepared to cut unnecessary spending out of their lifestyles. They still have their new car on HP sat outside their rented house, they still go abroad at least once a year, they have satellite TV and eat out at least once a week. Surely you can't expect them to cut all that out to save 3-5 years for a deposit on a house can you?!?!? You don't expect them to loose face with their friends and neighbors, who think that that nice 4 bedroom house they live in is actually owned, not rented, so how do they buy a similar house that they simple can't afford without going down the ladder?

Social housing is another issue and I have mixed opinion on those who really need to be housed and those who are just too lazy to get of their behind and work for one.

I've heard stories of Local Authority housing departments suggesting that private renters don't pay their rent so that they eventually become homeless, at which point they can then qualify for a social housing. I'm a private landlord and that's exactly what's happening with me. One family (two adults with a 20 year old who's also on the tenancy agreement) always miss a payment every year and it's always the first one after Christmas. I'm still owed 3 of these payments so they pay for 11 months and get 1 month free?!?!. In addition, they are now behind by 2 months - we've served a section 8 but that will take 2 months to be processed - to which they will be expected to leave the property and if they fail to leave then it's back to court to get the bailiffs to evict - costing more money and a further month+. So now they'll owe over £5000, not including court costs. To get this back they have to have the means to pay or assets to the value of - what's the likelihood that I'll get anything more than £5 a month from them? If the property needs refurbishing then that's another cost. All in, it could cost me £10k which is over a years rent.

So, why should I pay the Local Authority 25% of my development when they've already cost me £10,000. I've already made a contribution to the social housing sector by letting them stay in my house, rent free for the equivalent of a year.

There are huge quantities of houses available that every full time worker could afford on minimum wages.
Nonsense.

We live in an society that expect instant gratification and so they don't want to move into a £25k terrace house
And just where can you buy a terraced house for £25K?

Surely you can't expect them to cut all that out to save 3-5 years for a deposit on a house can you?!?!?
And how much will they be able to save in that time?

Let's see - minimum wage, 40-hour week = £13,124.80 pa.

We can tell from your figures that you are charging £8,600 - £9,600 pa rent, so that leaves around £45-65 per week for food, clothes, travel, utilities. How much do you think can be saved out of that?

And just where can you buy a terraced house for £25K?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-45341474.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-29384604.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-41692237.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-43443142.html

Want any more?

And how much will they be able to save in that time?

Let's see - minimum wage, 40-hour week = £13,124.80 pa.

We can tell from your figures that you are charging £8,600 - £9,600 pa rent, so that leaves around £45-65 per week for food, clothes, travel, utilities. How much do you think can be saved out of that?

My property is a 5 bed new build. The tenants came vetted and had references. They both worked. They fill the house with big TV's, xboxes, new cars on the drive, I've known of a trip to NYC last year - should I go on?

Let's go by your figures and assumptions. If you're just looking at 1 wage of £13k then this is for a single person - not a family - if it were a family then they'd be getting tax credits and other benefits including family allowance and childcare - so simply they'd be bringing in far more than £13k.

Back to the single person - £13k, 1 bed apartment, £350max/mth -£4200
Food, living costs, car (lets face it, for minimum wage they're hardly likely to be traveling 50+ miles to work are they?) etc. - lets take your higher figure of £65/wk - £3380

Total - £7580
Net wage approx - £12500 - leaving £4920 for other things - that's around 38% of their wages.

Lets assume they can save half that rounded up to £2500/year - 3 years £7500 = 30% deposit on a £25k property.

I haven't looked at the repayments on a £17500 mortgage but it's gotta be less than the rent.

I agree, before you trash me, that in more expensive parts of the country then it's more difficult. I'd love to live in London, but I can AFFORD it - so I live where I can afford. Minimum wages exist all around the country. Cost of living varies.

Yes please - I want evidence that there are huge quantities of affordable houses everywhere.

Let's go by your figures and assumptions. If you're just looking at 1 wage of £13k then this is for a single person - not a family - if it were a family then they'd be getting tax credits and other benefits including family allowance and childcare - so simply they'd be bringing in far more than £13k.
Oh - so that would be me subsidising the profits of Tesco then.

I agree, before you trash me, that in more expensive parts of the country then it's more difficult. I'd love to live in London, but I can AFFORD it - so I live where I can afford. Minimum wages exist all around the country. Cost of living varies.
Well that's OK then - I'm sure that London, and other large cities, would work just fine without anybody doing the things that low-paid workers do.

I'm just wondering why you're being so uppity about house prices and affordability?

You sound like a renter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back