Son needs help to decide what job/career he wants to do

Sponsored Links
Teachers are well over paid and is one of the reasons we have such a debt deficit.
There was this student who worked with me part time who was at uni training to be a woodwork teacher (think they call themselves something different nowadays) and he said his starting salary was £18k.
Told him he wasn't worth that and he took umbrage.
Really? A deficit? Have you got a link to that fact you wrote?!
I think it's more that we have a deficit of teachers due to the poxy low wage.

I think teachers, good teachers are worth every penny.

I think there would be a lot more public sector staff in front of teachers than behind, in the queue for a pay cut. Horrendous job teaching chavs and children of chavs.

Sponsored Links
Teaching is a vocation, if you like.....you get to know very soon indeed if you are cut out for it.
As to deciding whether we are worth our salary or not can be up for debate. In fact it was PM Thatcher that gave us reasonable salaries - before that the pay was pathetic, not a living wage for a new starter. So, she increased our salaries and basically told us to belt up and get on with it. Our 'contact time' hourly rate is very high.
As for dealing with the chavs, that is the most difficult part of many teachers lives.....personally I've had no problems with these people because I've never found one that I couldn't out talk or out think - that's part of the learning curve. Diffusing awkward situations was my speciality!
As a head of faculty I used to give myself the difficult kids because they would be sent to me in any case - that meant that my 'normal' staff could get on with their lessons without interference.
Want to know which teachers have the most difficult and responsible jobs? That has to go to our primary school teachers - heroes / heroines, every one. Low budgets, limited promotion and the same group of kids, day after day.....no thanks!
John :)

Teachers are well over paid and is one of the reasons we have such a debt deficit.
There was this student who worked with me part time who was at uni training to be a woodwork teacher (think they call themselves something different nowadays) and he said his starting salary was £18k.
Told him he wasn't worth that and he took umbrage.

Teaching kids is bad enough; teaching kids armed with hammers and chisels is even worse.

History's a fairly safe subject - usually optional in most schools at O level, and the rebellious kids won't take it. And as a degree it's fairly reliable for a lot of management and civil service careers.

College is free, up to the age of 18 and I think its a good cushion while kids decide what they want to do. However, it may be expensive but it's getting to the stage now that many employers want to see college or uni education so what is a kid to do if he/she wants to get a good job?

Name me a company that won't hire someone without a C&G award/NVQ ? These are worthless qualifications for mostly failed school leavers so that they can tell people/trick the parents into thinking they are doing something worthwhile. It's more beneficial to the tutors that don't care and only have to turn up half the time for their government pay cheque + pension.

If you want to learn something get a job.

Alas, this sort of thing starts at the chalk face, and it was all to do with school attainment figures.
Enter the dual award system......for doing exactly the same course and work content, the kids would receive 2 GCSE's instead of one. This was increased to a quadruple award in some science subjects so the kids thought they were brilliant, naturally enough.
Ridiculous.

Name me a company that won't hire someone without a C&G award/NVQ ? These are worthless qualifications for mostly failed school leavers so that they can tell people/trick the parents into thinking they are doing something worthwhile. It's more beneficial to the tutors that don't care and only have to turn up half the time for their government pay cheque + pension.

If you want to learn something get a job.
I don't know about City and Guilds, and NVQ. I didn't realise we were talking about that now or why you're talking to me about it.
Plenty of jobs out there that do require the correct qualifications tho, so school, college and uni are not a waste of time, depends on what the kids want to do in life.

Neither link tells me that teachers are partly responsible for the national deficit. I do see an article from the Daily Hate that doesn't take in things to account when talking about the amount (£40) of pay teachers are paid per hour teaching which doesn't include the 2-4 hours class prep and marking in the evening etc.

I think there's many jobs out there that are worth the money and a good teacher is one of them.

Neither link tells me that teachers are partly responsible for the national deficit

I didn't say teachers are partly responsible for the national deficit.
I said they are overpaid which is part of the reason why we have such a debt deficit.
Perhaps I should add "IMO".
You seem to be having a comprehension problem again.

BTW, IMO means In my Opinion.

How much do you think we are worth, Roger? Considering we had to train for 4 years or whatever - in my case I didn't start earning until I was 22 and if I had failed the course I was out on my ear.
I grant there is lots of preparation time and marking time, plus the usual parents evenings which goes with the job.

Neither link tells me that teachers are partly responsible for the national deficit. I do see an article from the Daily Hate that doesn't take in things to account when talking about the amount (£40) of pay teachers are paid per hour teaching which doesn't include the 2-4 hours class prep and marking in the evening etc.

I think there's many jobs out there that are worth the money and a good teacher is one of them.
Well said, Blighty.......anyone who fancies teaching is welcome to give it a go.

I didn't say teachers are partly responsible for the national deficit.
I said they are overpaid which is part of the reason why we have such a debt deficit.
Perhaps I should add "IMO".
You seem to be having a comprehension problem again.

BTW, IMO means In my Opinion.
Are they not the same thing?
Debt deficit and national deficit in my opinion are the same thing.
Semantics? Both mean the UK doesn't have enough money in the pot and this was what you were pointing out wasn't it? That teachers are making the problem worse by their wage?
Plus you put this link up (with the words national deficit in the address bar): http://www.ukpublicspending.co.uk/uk_national_deficit_analysis

And your opinion is that teachers salary of £27k (going by your daily hate article) is too much, why? Please have a better reason that you just don't like teachers.
£27k, take away tax, leaves (rounded figures) £21k. Just over £500 a week. Is that a wealthy job in this day and age? It's not too bad, granted but it's hardly overpaid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Back