Sore after a weekends graft..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So this bank holidays good weather has seen me outside continuing with the never-ending garden project for 4 days straight..

The mornings after a days graft, which mostly involves lifting, digging and shovelling, my back in particularly stiff and painful. Yet within a couple of hours gentle motion and light chores (tidying up and sorting out) things are back to usual and I can graft on. A speedier recovery can be achieved with painkillers (Ibuprofen & codeine), however I don't like popping pills at the best of times.

My day job is pretty sedate, the only thing heavier than my mouse that I have to lift on a regular basis is a laptop computer, and that's rare.

Any thoughts on how I can reduce the post-graft stiffness? It used to be a good feeling accompanying the feel of a job well done, but now it's just painful and makes me feel twice my age.

I'm guessing some form of wind down exercises or stretches, but what? what should I be exercising or stretching, and in what way?

Sponsored Links
What a f*nny, :rolleyes: A few aches and pains are nothing to people who actually graft for a living.

Wind down exercises ffs. :LOL: :LOL:

I once made the mistake of lifting a 110V transformer (for an angle grinder, I think) by 'stooping' rather than 'crouching'. My back was painful for several days afterwards but, thankfully, eventually put itself right.

So that's the answer, at least as far as I'm concerned: posture!

yup, I don't graft for a living. I graft at the weekends, and my air-conditioned office accustomed body is apparently not really liking the combination of pushing a mouse around all week, and barrowing cement at the weekends. :)

So, suggestions?

ETA: I'm pretty conscious of my posture, particularly with things like paving slabs which can be as unforgiving when dropped as well as when lifted wrong..

Sponsored Links
It doesn't get any better as you age. I'm 59 now and a weekend of DIY leaves me feeling tired and stiff all over.

I go road cycling and my legs are strong and accustomed to the effort but nowadays even 30 hilly miles are enough to leave my quads tight and sore for 2 - 3 days. As the summer comes on you get fitter and increase your speed but the soreness is always with you because you are just pushing that bit further and faster each time.

Gentle warm up exercises before you start then gentle wind down jobs as you finish.

Yes, posture is important but so is not straining yourself. Don't lift heavy things like paving slabs but 'walk' them or get someone to lift them with you into a barrow then to help you lift them out.

There is nothing macho about showing your wife you can lift heavy objects if you then spend three days recovering from the strain.

Back strain is like losing your hearing. It can be cumulative, meaning you don't notice gradual loss of movement just like you don't notice gradual loss of hearing.

Trust me, I have just returned to work after a three week lay off with a bad back. It transpires that I have Facet joint Arthritis and still hurts in certain circumstances.
As Conny says, posture is important, as is not being macho.
Back pain is one of the most painful things that you can suffer and not worth risking being lifting heavy objects on your own.

My shoulders are aching as I was busy helping dig out the cellar for a friend who has a shop in Hatton Garden. He tells me he has to lay some new drains which connect to next door.

Sponsored Links
Back