Soundproofing/blocking out TV noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Hoping someone can offer me advice on a problem that's been driving me mad for the past 6 months.

We live in a semi-detached and had our loft converted late last year. During the process the neighbour's TV got louder, to the point where almost every word can be heard and I know exactly what they are watching. If they are watching a particularly noisy show, it is difficult to ignore without turning our TV up. This situation has continued long after the loft work finished.

I should say at this point that there are two living rooms on the party wall and both have a chimney brest and alcoves either side. We live mainly in the back room, as do our neighbours. The noise travels across the party wall and can actually be heard in our front living room, but it's worst in the back living room in the alcove where I assume their TV must be. It also carries up that wall and into the bedroom of my youngest daughter. The thought has occurred to me that the loft conversion has altered the acoustics of the party wall. It may be that their exposure to our noise has also increased.

My question is if/how I can lessen the problem?

You may be wondering why I don't just ask them nicely, but our relationship deteriorated to the point where they won't even say "hello" to us. I don't particularly want to complain either, because we went through a fairly accrimonous process getting the loft done and the thought of doing that again fills me with dread.

Sponsored Links
Try a white noise generator in the meantime and borrow library books on Neighbor Law for the long haul?

The high frequencies may be easier to attenuate than the low ones. Noise can be reflected or absorbed or use active noise cancellation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back