Soundproofing door and windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I live on quite a busy high street and there are some tenants who work shifts in a pub. they come in and out at all hours and they smoke too so they go outside like 3 times an hour. The communal door is quite loud and I can hear them talking outside my bedroom window when they are outside.

Is there anything I can do to help reduce this noise? I have bought that white adhesive drought excluder stuff but when I put it on my front door I couldn't shut it properly so I had to take it off. am I doing it correctly? I put it in the parts where the door actually meets the frame.

Any other advice would be gravely appreciated. I have spoken to tenants but I get the impression they think I'm a moaner but truth is its impossible for me to fall asleep before midnight and they also wake my son up.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
A window is like a diaphragm that picks up outside sounds.
To see how much of the outside noise is being picked up by your windows, have someone make a steady noise outside, like a car horn, and then press on the glass center with your hand while someone else notes a change in interior sound.
If the windows contribute a lot then the problem becomes "How to damp this vibrating sheet?"
If their speech sounds muffled the high frequencies are already being weakened.

ok it sounds clear as day when cars go past and people talk. We have DG but maybe the seal around the window frame isn't good?

With regards to our front door, what can we do to down out the noise from people in the hall and the main door to the building/apartment?

The auto makers coat the large sheet metal parts in luxury cars with absorbent foam or rubber. And, heavy curtains and heavy rugs will acoustically deaden the room.

Without test equipment, the experiments you run to isolate the sources will have to be pretty cleverly designed. You also need to have sound source that is consistent - maybe you can play a tape.

The worst outcome is that you spend a lot of money and time and the symptoms are not even touched, or even made worse.

Sponsored Links
I know this is a really dumb answer but when a load of us go and stay at my mates hotel I can never sleep because of the heating and aircon units outside.

I take soft disposable earplugs that block out loads of noise and I sleep like a baby yet still hear my alarm when it goes off.

Might have to try it but i do worry as we have a 3 year old

Thank you

secondary glazing will muffle the window noise. it relies on an air gap between the original and the secondary glass.

look for any gaps between the frames and the wall that have not been sealed. Noise gets through gaps.

A heavy fire door muffles noise much better than a lightweight or hollow door.

We had a fire door in my old place it was alot better than the door here although this door is also quite heavy but perhaps not sealed as well

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back