Soundproofing existing stud partition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm hoping to improve the sound insulation on the existing stud partition walls. It looks like they have been constructed with batons 4 inches deep with plasterboard each side and a 4 inch gap of air.

The noise is mostly light airbourne noise so was thinking to remove one side of the parition and infil with something like rockwool rwa45.

Should I use 75mm thick insulation or 100mm? I was thinking that maybe 100mm could be a tight fit on 4 inch deep joists but not sure?
Should I be worried at all about the additional load on the joists this infilled wall would cause?

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
I wasn't familiar with RWA 45 and from what I saw I think it is simply normal insulation that has been stiffened. Un fortunately all insulation suppliers have started saying their product provides "excellent" sound insulation but usually without defining this.

Since the batts are usually twice the price of the roll insualtion and currently the roll insulation is being heavily subsidised, I think you would save money and achieve a better result by buying 150m mm of roll insulation and compressing it into the space.

You shouldn't have any trouble doing this: I squeezed 100 mm into 50 mm
but that was at the limit.

It got a bit confusing at the end, talking about joists where I am not sure if you mean joists or battens.

Thanks for your post but isn't thermal insulation nowhere near as dense as the accousitc stuff? Would the roll be anywhere near as dense as 45Kg/cm ?

As for joists, I did mean joists. By infilling a 10cm wall with heavy material I was thinking the extra weight might be too much for the joists in the floor below to bare?

The more you can squeeze in the better, so 150mm thick roll into a 100mm gap is fine if it will go. Compacting mineral wool reduces thermal efficiency but improves sound insulation due to increased density. The additional weight compared to the timber studs and boarding is negligible.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back