Soundproofing internal wall partitions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We will soon be undertaking major renovation work on a property. Can you please advise why the loose fluffy type of insulation material works better for both sound and heat installation compared to the kingspan/celotex type boards in relation to INTERNAL walls in the house under ground to first floor ceilings?

I would've thought that the boards are better because they are more compressed /dense and will therefore have higher sound insulation properties as well as heat insulation properties within the rooms?

Sponsored Links
ey143, hi.

It has been some time, but.

As I recall being taught, sound deadening is best achieved by mass, that is a heavy solid structure, There is a plasterboard made that will reduce sound. have a look at the Gyproc Site?

To reduce high frequency sound a softer material is best at reducing this type of sound. Google a Helmholtz resonator?

It is possible that a mix of two layers of a sound deadening Plasterboard plus a fill in the partition of a sound deadening fill may assist?

There is another material on the market worth a look, it was called Quietex or similar, designed to be used in old properties to replace the Ash Deafening between flats sited one above another.

Hope this has given you some pointers that will assist you in seeking answers?

Light fluffy loft insulation is not much good for sound. You can get dense mineral wool batts which are denser and heavier and better for packing into the space to muffle noise.

JohnD - do you have a name of a product or a URL link for an example.

What about between levels in a house then apart from between walls.

Sponsored Links
ey143, Hi again.

As regards the sound proofing between floors ? in old property, especially property, at least in Scotland, Ash was uses extensively because it was a plentiful product to obtain, being the product of all the millions of coal fires being used at that time, the Georgian Victorian Era. Ash was used as material for external paths, Etc.

Drawback now is that Ash is a filthy dirty dust producing material to dispose of, but it works, it is heavy, dense and effective as a sound deadening material.

The Ash was installed between the first and subsequent upward floor joists. Fillers of timber were fixed to the sides of the joists, and timber slats were installed between the two slats, anything was pressed into service, old flooring, old planks, anything that would allow the Ash to be deposited on to and would retain the Ash in position between the joists.

You have not intimated what age your property is? it may or may not have Ash as a deafening? the conventional way of Installing Ash deafening was to pour it in from above. there is a modern equivalent, Quie tex a chipped rock, I do not know costs, there are some other products in this granular form.

It is possible to install the various proprietary sound insulation bats. into the ceiling void, but these bats will require to be supported and not rest on, or fall onto the plasterboard.

Hi

Thanks for the reply. The property is a 1930s, however I was referring more to extensions I'm planning and insulting parts of the existing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back