soundshield board

Discussion in 'Plastering and Rendering' started by craig1, 13 Feb 2011.

1. craig1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi, I want to reduce the sound from next door. The wall is brick about 2m wide at the top off the stairs. I don't want to loose any area so I'm going to remove the plaster back to brick. Was going to use soundshield board(Wickes), maybe two sheets together. Wondered what the best way of fixing this. I was going to dot & dab the first sheet and then use adhesive to bond the second sheet to it?

2. jrplastering

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    i would use sound coat and then dot and dab acoustic boards over the top.
    i think some of the guys on here might prefer resilliant bars but i prefer a nice thick coat of soundcoat then sound boards over the top. i think that might be easier.
    heres a link
    http://www.british-gypsum.com/produ...es/gyproc_accessories/gyproc_soundcoat.aspx.i find this stuff easier to use than resilliant bars.
    mabey see what the other guys come up with here too then compare your options.
    ;)

3. craig1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi, have removed the old plaster. I am now going to fix a 25mm baton frame to the wall. I then want to either put celotex insulation board 25mm thk then fix soundshield plasterboard over the top or dot and dab the soundshield upto the 25mm baton and then fix a second sheet of soundshield over the top??

4. ajrobb

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    A layer of soundcoat should seal any holes in the wall. If you leave these holes open, you could make things worse. If you have joists going into the party wall (now against building regulations), you might want to fill gaps around the joists and seal with mastic.

5. LankyPaddy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Another vote for a good 6mm layer of Soundcoat slopped on. It'll seal the wall and give a good foundation for your other insulation and boarding.

6. jrplastering

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    everyone loves my sound coat idea haha that my choice every day of the week its easy to use and you dnt have to worry bout getting it to flat cos your goin to day soundcheck over the top and level it up with that. :cool: