Sourcing old floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to replace a few floorboards in a 1920's Semi, they are 22mm thick by 115mm wide T&G.

I don't seem to be able to find anywhere that does that size, and I can't find anywhere open on a weekend either (which is the only opportunity I have to go get some)

Any recommendations where I might get some in the Midlands area would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
No doesn't have to be old boards, it's only to repair a small patch of 6 115mm boards on a landing area, and it's going to be covered with carpet.

I thought about trying the reclamation yards, will try and ring around a few in the week.

Another option I thought about was to use the more readily available 22mmx125mm boards and cut the last one lengthways to fit. The last ones going to have to have the tongue cut off anyway I think.

Sponsored Links
If there is central heating in the home, then the original floorboards will inevitably have shrunk say up to 1/4" + in some cases, as yours are 115 mm now, it could be they started off as 125 mm (5" wide - standard) so un-shrunk 125 mm may just do the job...pinenot :)

I had to replace cracked straight edge floorboards (1920s house) and the standard widths didn't fit (3 different sizes 14.5 14.9 15.2cm!). At the suggestion on someone on here I used 18mm plywood cut to correct width strips (bnq) which worked great.

Not sure if you can get 22mm ply but you can get 10 and 12mm which you could use together

If there is central heating in the home, then the original floorboards will inevitably have shrunk say up to 1/4" + in some cases, as yours are 115 mm now, it could be they started off as 125 mm (5" wide - standard) so un-shrunk 125 mm may just do the job...pinenot :)

they will be ex 5x1" but the machining will give you around 119mm including the tounge or around 114 coverage[surface area without tounge] ;)

so ask for ex 5x1" txg floor boards at your wood yard or builders yard

I don't think they have shrunk, although the central heating pipes run directly underneath. Widthwise they seem a tight fit, although it is of course possible.

When I say they were 115mm wide I measured the surface area without the tongue, so could well be 119mm with the tongue.

All sorted, a Timber Merchant called Harlow Bros had a branch just down the road from where I work (Burton) so I was able to pop in at lunchtime. They were very helpful and able to machine some flooring to my exact requirements and at a reasonable cost.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back