Space Saver Stairs Vs Steep Normal Stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All things being equal, and regulations aside.... what do you consider to be safer....

A. 48 degree 'normal'' stairs
B. 56 degree 'space saver' stairs

Sponsored Links
Regs require 42 degrees Max in domestic stairs, and they are much safer than space saver stairs.

Thank you for replying, but I did specifically state "regulations aside".

I can't see space savers being that pleasant to use and our 1900 terrace stairs were made at approx 50 degrees anyway.

Thank you for replying, but I did specifically state "regulations aside".

I can't see space savers being that pleasant to use and our 1900 terrace stairs were made at approx 50 degrees anyway.

I think A. would be safer, albeit pretty horrendous.

I designed my own staircase to be 38 degrees. I consider that future-proofed ;)

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
38 degrees would be nice. But when you have only 2360mm floor space to rise 2640mm - soon run out of options! :D

I apologise, i thought that you were claiming 48 degrees as a "normal" stair angle.

Stay away from the space saver design if at all possible. Besides the safety angle there is the fact that you dis-bar various groupings, eg the old, from using the flight.
And come house sale time they are not everyone's cup of tea.

Modern domestic stairs are at approx 36 - 38 degrees FWIW.

38 degrees would be nice. But when you have only 2360mm floor space to rise 2640mm - soon run out of options! :D

Yes I see the issue - the going on mine is 3300.

Is this just a straight staircase or does it turn at the top or the bottom? What sort of space is it going into?

Cheers
Richard

Is this for a loft conversion?

Although the Approved Document details sizes of treads/risers and pitch etc, the regs allow flexibility if the staircase serves only one room.

Have you considered a drop landing at the top, to give more space?

You would get a lot more information if you answered Tony's question.
Are stairs for loft conversion or to replace existing?
Regards oldun

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back