Space station. Why ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've seen the external videos of the space walks is there any high quality one available ......The ones I saw the quality was so poor ........why ? you can get car dash cams £30 save images to a memory card quality's great this could be done outside transferred inside beamed down what's the problem ?

Sponsored Links
what's the problem ?

If you can get a regular camera to last more than a millisecond in the hostile environment of space, then good luck.
Also.....
The gradual accumulation of damage from high-energy particles on Charge-Coupled Devices (CCDs) (also found in digital cameras) are of more serious concern to scientists. The accuracy of the measurements needed to perform science is so great that any slight damage to these cameras can alter the data received from them.

You can see effects of this damage in a lot of the videos by astronaut Chris Hadfield on board the International Space Station. In full screen and streaming at highest quality, you will find white spots in the darker areas of the picture. These are caused by radiation damage to the sensor, which allows signal to be created by the temperature of the device, rather than the meaningful light particles which form the image.

There is a link on NASA's site, and all the mission photos are at brilliant quality.

Sponsored Links
That space station looks like something that got second prize in a Blue Peter competition.:p

No one is stopping you from building a better one in space.
At least I would make an effort to disguise the cereal boxes and loo roll cores with some silver spray paint and carefully crafted sticky-back-plastic.
Where are all the rows and rows of flashing bulbs? Can't be a proper spaceship.:whistle:

I think it is probably constructed for functionality rather than aesthetics; a lesson some architects should learn.

I think it is probably constructed for functionality rather than aesthetics; a lesson some architects should learn.
But whatever will the aliens think if our space station looks like it came from a Christmas cracker?
It's just not a good first impression.....:D

No one is stopping you from building a better one in space.
At least I would make an effort to disguise the cereal boxes and loo roll cores with some silver spray paint and carefully crafted sticky-back-plastic.
Where are all the rows and rows of flashing bulbs? Can't be a proper spaceship.:whistle:
Yes, it needs more random flashing lights. A bit of 70s scifi bling.

I did see a few bits being made at the Kennedy Space Centre. Very impressive, although of course, they all had to fit in the space shuttle to get up there, and be easily slotted together.

Probably a good job it wasn't an Ikea self assembly.

That said, the bay window is nice, although it did cost 20 million Euros, so architectural considerations were probably secondary to protection from meteors/debris.

Last edited:
That said, the bay window is nice, although it did cost 20 million Euros, so architectural considerations were probably secondary to protection from meteors/debris.
Was that supply and fit or supply only?

Sponsored Links
Back