split load consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have changed my standard wired fuse box to split load with rcd.all my plugs,shower and garage are protected by rcd fine the cooker and lights are not.its ok up to the time i switch on an item that is not protected by the rcd off goes the rcd turning the house off except for the unprotected mcb's no mcb's trip.and putting what could be faulty circuits on the protected side makes it all ok why is this happening ?

Sponsored Links
sounds like you have wired it wrong if i read your post right.

you say that a circuit on the non rcd side will trip the rcd but put it on the rcd side all is ok?

if i don't un wire anything at all but remove the mcb itself to the protected side the fault goes away checked and double checked thanks though breezer :(

casper1973 said:
remove the mcb itself to the protected side the fault goes away

that is EXACTLY the fault

you are only moving the LIVE conductor an rcd works by detecting the IMBALANCE see this

you should also move the neutral as well to the other neutral bus bar. so as i said you have wired it wrong

Sponsored Links
thank you breezer i will look at later today but that sound like the problem an imbalance will let you know thank you for your help :D

thanks breezer re-wired consumer unit keeping mcb 1 to earth 1 to neutral to1 and so on.everything ok you were wright thanks for that had to chip a brick out though to extend the wires laziness does no prevail :LOL: have a happy new year !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back