Splitting 2 lights with 2 common light switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guyz, after a bit of advice.

In my living room there are 2 seperate lights in the ceiling and there are 2 switches to turn these on at either end of the the room which both control the 2 lights (like you get on the landing to turn the lights off down stairs when your are up stairs and vice versa) What i want to do is have each switch operate just one light independatlly. is this an easy thing to do?

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Well, it can be done but it's a lot of work for what you want.
On one of the switches do you have a common with a yellow (or it could be red) wire, then L1 or L2 with a blue & black wire and the other with either two reds or a red & yellow wire?
I am ignoring the earth wire at this stage.

The other switch with red or yellow in common and L1 & L2 with a blue & black wire?

I am also assuming pre-harmonised colours.

Hi, i have not taken the switches off yet, it's a new build house if that makes any difference. It's something i will do in the new year when we redecorate the room. i don't want to disturbe anything just yet, just wanted a heads up.

I guess best thing to do is bring this post back to life wjhen i am doing the job LoL

Thanks anyways and happy Xmas!!

Sponsored Links
It could probably be done, depending on how it is wired. But you may have to do a bit of re-wiring.

If it is new build, there will probably be a T&E to one switch & a 3C&E between the two switches. Then possibly a 3C&E linking the two light fittings.

If this is how it has been done, you need to replace the T&E to the switch with some 3C&E.

This new switch cable has a live (common) feed and two switchwires.

In the ceiling, this new switch cable would be connected as follows:

Brown to live loop. Black to one fitting's switched live. Grey to the other fitting's switched live, using the existing cable that links the two fittings together.

In the switch box with two cables, connect the brown of both to the common. Connect the switched live of the nearest fitting to the L1 terminal.

The other switched live from the ceiling position you connect to the same (or corresponding) colour in the 3C&E to the other switch.

Then make sure that that colour switched live is connected through to the switched live of the other fitting at the ceiling position.

The idea is that you are introducing a third conductor in the switch cable to enable you to separate the switches so they only operate their respective fittings.

Don't forget to use grommets & sleeving where appropriate.

However, if your wiring set-up is different to above, this idea will not work!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back