splitting a large bedroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can anyone help, i was thinking about splitting a large bedroom to make 2 smaller ones, the large room has 2 windows so the new rooms will still have a window each, i would need to put a new light fitting in plus light switch, plus a few plugs and a new radiator in and move the one i have the now. Both rooms will have they own door, window and radiator. If i did this would i need to have paperwork when i come to sell as it would be a 4 bedroom house not a 3 bedroom. If we do this it would give us the space we need for our 3 daughters but dont want it to cause us problems when we come to selling the house years down the line thanks in advance for any advise given x

Sponsored Links
Best people to ask would probably be your local council to see if you need any permissions first, (even if it is your own house there are rules you have to comply with).

My ex father in law did this many years ago then when the kids had grown up and left he simply removed the dividing wall and made good the decorations. He also removed one of the light switches so both lights were controlled by one switch but the rads were left in place.

And, no doubt, the grabbing council will want to put your council tax up!

jbr think you are right pal.my sis/i/l had just done this and after having a inspection they advised her to get permission and it has to have a separate hallway to each bedroom i:E you dont walk through 1 bedroom to get to the other?
and then hinted about an increase in property tax.

Sponsored Links
Hi can anyone help, i was thinking about splitting a large bedroom to make 2 smaller ones, the large room has 2 windows so the new rooms will still have a window each, i would need to put a new light fitting in plus light switch, plus a few plugs and a new radiator in and move the one i have the now. Both rooms will have they own door, window and radiator. If i did this would i need to have paperwork when i come to sell as it would be a 4 bedroom house not a 3 bedroom. If we do this it would give us the space we need for our 3 daughters but dont want it to cause us problems when we come to selling the house years down the line thanks in advance for any advise given x

Use the idea from conny... just do it as it will only be a studded waland if/when you come to move take down the wall and make good... involving the council will probably put your rates up anyhow

Or just post in the Planning forum where you will get some meaningful advice rather than this drivel, especially the crap that Dope jbr trots out, apart from gregers post that is.

The only thing that springs to mind is building regs, may need to double up the joist (if it runs parallel with the new wall) even though it probably doesn't need it.. I could be well wrong though but worth asking to find out

I've also never heard of anyone asking for planning permission to split a room in two unless it's a listed building or the like

Or just post in the Planning forum where you will get some meaningful advice rather than this drivel.

What a pleasant chap! :rolleyes:
My apologies to gregers, my post has been amended now.

For the record @ the OP, as mentioned no need for planning unless the house is listed.

With respect to Building Regs provided the situation with regards to fire escape is not made any worse then no need for getting Building Control involved.

With regards to the electrics you can probably (legally) DIY these but not can't be 100% sure with the information you have provided.

An increase in council tax is extremely unlikely to ever be an issue (how would they ever find out for one thing) maybe when you sell the additional bedroom may be picked up but then you're off then anyway.

When you do this I'd recommend getting good sound insulation placed in the dividing partition.

Daughters are noisy.

Sponsored Links
Back