Splitting King Post

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for some advice in repairing a splitting king post in a holiday home we own abroad, please.

The post is 300x20x20 cm, and has started to crack vertically on the face which is opposite a velux window which has previously had no heat reflective blind, so the post has been subject to some very high summer temperatures.

The splitting is fairly advanced, extending to most of the length of the post, but is not yet deep enough to jeopardise its function (i.m.o.) so I'd like to reinforce the post, rather than have to replace it. My questions are :-

1) What material should I use? Metal or wood, and what type/thickness, etc ?

2) How should I affix the reinforcement to the post ?

All/any advice will be very gratefully received. Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Some better overall pics would help, does the split go all the way through, what is the connection at the top (pic) what is the connection detail at the base (pic)? New roof/old roof? How long since post was fitted? New roof/old roof? When did crack first appear? Did it appear overnight? ETC

Thanks for your prompt response.

The post, roof and house are 30 years old - we've had it the last 12 years. As it's in central France (and I am not) I'm restricted to the following additional photo :-

There is a less severe split on the face you can see in the 2nd photo, but the more problematic split is on the vertical face opposite the velux window, which can just be seen in the top left of the 2nd photo.

The splits do not go through the post - they are probably 2 cm deep and 1 cm wide at the worst point. I cannot say when they occurred, but I suspect they have been around for quite some time.

I hope I've given you enough to work on, but please let me know if I can provide more info.

Thanks again.

These are called 'shakes' and all timbers that dry too quickly suffer from them.
They are unlikely to be a severe problem, but you could consider strapping the post with other timber and bolting the whole lot through.
John :)

Sponsored Links
The splits do not go through the post - they are probably 2 cm deep and 1 cm wide at the worst point. I cannot say when they occurred, but I suspect they have been around for quite some time.
Come back next year if they have got bigger, otherwise forget about 'em.

Guys, thank you for your re-assurance. I'll adopt a policy of wait-and-see, as advised, and "sister up" additional timber if they look like spreading further.

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back